Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download speed / upload speed

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
5052638784.png

Does anyone have an idea why the upload speed is faster then the download speed ?

I have ran speed test twice, several hours apart with same results.

Thanks
Joe.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I assume you are connected with an  Ethernet cable rather than wireless.  If not try a cable and see if you get the same result.  (With wireless you may be pushing the limit depending on your signal strength, type of WiFi, and strength of the transmitter in your PC)

If the download speed is what you are paying for then I would be happy.  Somebody at your ISP probably made a mistake.  

If it's not what you paid for go into Task Manager and verify that nothing is using the network when you close your browsers.  IF you see appreciable traffic then use TCPView to see what's causing it.  https://technet.micr...ls/tcpview.aspx

If there is no traffic first check that you do not have a auto-negotiate mismatch (one side of the Ethernet at Full Duplex and the other set to Auto-Negotiate or Half Duplex.  Pretty rare these days but I suppose it could still happen if you worked at it.  netstat -e  (in an elevated command prompt) and look for errors and discards.

If there are no errors/discards then complain to the ISP. 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Thanks Ron,

It is what I pay for and correct it is a Ethernet connection. Someone on another forum pointed out that it looked weird up load being faster then download. I am happy with the download speed except when the bill comes :)

Joe

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I've never seen one with a faster up than down which is why I expect they made a mistake when they set it up.  Enjoy.  

(This is what I have:

http://www.speedtest...sult/5052914331

and it's 6 times faster than I had on the island.  My son-in-law in Greensboro, just got fiber and his test shows over 780 down and 31 up.  He got a really great deal on it and even tho it is supposed to be 1000 down he is so happy with it that he's not complaining.)