Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Optiplex optical replacement with HDD

Best Answer Ten_dollar_bill , 02 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

Not really, dude. This thing only has 2 sata connections, so I have to sacrifice the OD Since I barely use it, I can just swap it into the system if I really need it. Thanks a lot for your input.S... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ten_dollar_bill

Ten_dollar_bill

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi there geeks(Yes, I can use the term, I'm one too! ;) )

Looking to replace my Optiplex 740 DVD/RW drive with another HDD in it's place.

Is there any problems with this, apart from losing the optical drive? Do I need a special bracket to contain the 3.5 HDD, or can I just screw it onto the chassis?

Cheers in advance

Tdb

*Forgot to mention: It's an SFF, so only space for 1 HDD, I removed the FDD, and replaced it with a multi card reader, and 1 optical drive. I hardly ever use the optical drive, since I use ISO images, but I need more space for games, and rather than update the primary drive, and lose game progress, I just want to install more space to the system.

Tdb

Edited by Ten_dollar_bill, 02 February 2016 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,346 posts
  • MVP

Appears the DVD is a SATA device so if you can fit it in there should be no problem.  Suppose if worst comes to worst you can drill a few holes to mount it and keep it from rattling around. Might not be very pretty unless you can cover up the front panel hole.  

Ten_dollar_bill

Ten_dollar_bill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the reply, RKinner

I just wasn't sure if I needed some special bracket, or something. I bought the system for $25, so I'm not worried about its prettiness, just its functionality. Problem might arise since it's vertical, rather than horizontal, but I guess I can work with that ;)

Cheers, dude

Tdb

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,346 posts
  • MVP

Don't think the drive cares that much whether it is vertical or horizontal.  What it doesn't like is being turned on an axis while it's running.  The gyro effect causes it to put a heavy load on the bearings which shortens it life.  

I put an SSD in my PC and just used tie wraps to hold it in place.  

Two of the four SATA connectors on the motherboard broke off.  Really a stupid design.  Had to buy a card for $18 from Amazon to get them back:

IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40039)

So that might be an option for you if there's space to squeeze in another drive and keep the DVD.

Ten_dollar_bill

Ten_dollar_bill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
✓  Best Answer

Not really, dude. This thing only has 2 sata connections, so I have to sacrifice the OD :) Since I barely use it, I can just swap it into the system if I really need it. Thanks a lot for your input.

Sorry to read about your connection prob. I've had bent pins on IDE connections, that I had to straighten with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and also a *very* old cpu, but that was over a decade ago! ;)

Unfortunately, the beast has no space for a 2nd drive.

Still happy with it, though.

Tried to put it into an ATX case, until I realized it had EVERYTHING backwards! Power, slots, etc, was on the WRONG [bleep] SIDE! Sooo unhappy :/

Ah, well. Life goes on ;)

Cheers, dude/ette

Pete

Tdb