Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wakes up, but network adapter is dead...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I just upgraded my wife's computer to W10.  It works fine EXCEPT

I also put an icon on it to go to sleep when clicked.  It goes to sleep, and wakes up when I move the mouse, except the USB network adapter is dead; it is not lite up and there is no network connection available.  If I unplug the network adapter and plug it back in, it lights up and works normally.

Any idea why that might be, and what I can do about it?

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

What's the Model number and the brand of it? Might need the specific drivers for it to be downloaded and installed.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

It is a TP-LINK TL-WN722N.

It took me a while to find Device Manager, but it says I have the current driver.  But...  It also showed a option for allowing the computer to save energy by turning the device off.  I unclicked that box and it seems to work properly now.  It turns off when it sleeps and comes back on when it wakes.

Have I fixed it, or done something foolish?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

No, nothing foolish.

However Win 10 boots up very quickly (especially if using a SSD drive) that a full shutdown (rather than a sleep) has the system up and running in double quick time.

Regards

paws

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

Download and install the latest driver - http://www.tp-link.c...22N.html#Driver

While finding a Windows 10 compatible driver is important, I also agree with paws about the system waking up super-quick.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Download and install the latest driver - http://www.tp-link.c...22N.html#Driver

While finding a Windows 10 compatible driver is important, I also agree with paws about the system waking up super-quick.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I checked with the mfg.  They have no plans for a W10 driver; the W8.1 driver works well enough.