Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi advise PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

dumbass12

dumbass12

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Calling all geeks, do me a favour, 'geek me up'

I live really rural, heartbreakingly slow wifi, I'm talking 4 hours to download a movie off appleTV etc. I've got a decent sized house and we've added another extension, on a different mains dist board. Problem is, I've got a Sonos music set up and I'd like to place extra speakers in there, but the wifi simply doesn't reach. I've got the extenders, but frankly they're just cr*p. I've spent loads over the years on expensive routers but given the poor copper cable in, they just don't make any difference, my HomeHub 4 is about as good as I can get. Can't even use the mains circuit plug in's as I've a different dist board. However, running a new cable around the house wouldn't be out of the question - I live in a bungalow. Any ideas guys ??? 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Since you have a fairly slow signal coming in there is no point in using expensive Cat 6 or 6A.  I'd get some Cat 5e (up to 100 meters or 328 feet) and a couple of 110 style  RJ45 wall mount adapters something like: http://www.techtools...p/sky20895w.htmplus a second wireless router (one that connects to the Internet via RJ45 and not DSL or Cable tho if you already have one it can be made to work.  Just takes more configuration.) and two RJ45 jumper cables.  That's the neatest & easiest way to do it.  No crimping tool required.  Usually the adapters have little covers over the terminal blocks and you use them to push the wires into position without even needing to strip them.  (If they don't have the covers then a small screwdriver will do the job.)  Stay inside the house if you can when you run the cable.  It will last longer and lightning protection shouldn't be required.