Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

an8ela

an8ela

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi,

My son has just shown me his laptop and the problems he is having upon boot up.

He presses the 'on' button and immediately a blue screen appears asking for his password.  It has his email address and a blank password space underneath.  He is unable to click in the password space to put a password in, and when he does try to do this, a further screen falls from the top and covers this page up.  Now he is looking at what would be his desktop page, but he is still unable to click on anything for it to work.  He can turn the laptop on and off but this is the problem he is having every time.

There doesn't seem to be any time to click on anything before the password page appears on the screen.  I have tried CTRL-ALT-DEL and CTRL-ENTER but nothing happens.

Would you be able to help me with this?

Thanks

Kind regards

Angela

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Make & model number of laptop?  Windows version?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

It's an Asus X453M running Windows 10.  

Regards

Angela

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Per the User Manual at

http://dlcdnet.asus....409_E8770_A.pdf

You can Refresh your PC which retains your data but fixes a lot of problems.

Restart and hit the F9 key.  This should get it to go to a Choose an Option screen.  Click on Troubleshoot then on Refresh Your PC, Next, then his account then Continue then refresh.

IF the PC has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8 it may revert back to 8 so I would try some of the other options on the Choose an Option screen first.

Try Advanced Options then System Image Recover, then his Account then Use the Latest Available (recommended), Next

If all else fails you can do the restore to factory option but that will lose all data and probably revert it back to Windows 8.

If you think it's malware or just want to recover his data before restoring you may want to look at:

http://www.geekstogo...ystem-tutorial/

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I am not able to do this as I am unable to restart the computer.  

When I click on the 'on' button it immediately goes to the pages I mention above.  I can't click on anything to do anything and therefore unable to shut down or restart.  I can click on the off button and it switches off but that's it.

Thanks

Regards

Angela

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

This is a new laptop bought around November last year.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

I'd try turning it off then hold down F9 and start it up.  If it's from November it should still be under warranty so maybe sending it back is the best choice.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Apologies for the late reply.

Holding F9 down before start-up worked and the laptop is now ok.

Thank-you very much for your help.

Kind regards

Angela

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting me know.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.