Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

html-coding for translucency in different browsers

• Please log in to reply

milja

milja

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey clever people,

I’m trying to create an effect of a semitransparent gauze under the writing at my site over a background picture. The following html is what I have added on my site concerning translucency.

p {background-color: #FFFFFF;
filter: progid: DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=50);
filter: Alpha(opacity=50);
-moz-opacity:0.5;
opacity: 0.5;
-khtml-opacity:0.5;}

However for some reason this appears translucent only when using Firefox but not in the Internet Explorer. I don’t have any idea if it works in the other browsers. I would like to know if any of you can see what’s wrong with the html-coding. I did try the coding in few various ways without -khtml-opacity:0.5; and filter: progid: DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opacity=50); Still no desired effect.

Thankyou in advance for potential answers
Milja :tazz:

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
are you trying to do this?

carelwen

carelwen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
this is css.

milja

milja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

are you trying to do this?

View Post

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to do!

So I went and tried your advice... here's what happened: After adding the coding you suggested, both Firefox and IE shows translucent gauze under the writing...yeee!! ;)
But here's the problem: when defining the width and margin, only IE behaves as desired creating the translucent bg automatically under the whole text written. In Firefox the gauze appears clearly less wide and therefore some of the writing runs out from the translucent background. If I remove the width code, Explorer removes the translucency completely leaving behind only a normal non-translucent white background for the text. If I again increase the width according to Firefox, the gauze becomes too wide in IE and looks just not good. How can I go around that? I would like the gauze to be created automatically under my writing without me having to think where do I have to start a new line so that the text stays at the translucent bg as a whole in both browsers? Is that even possible?

Thanks for your help already, at least I'm now more near from the solution than before,
Milja :tazz: