Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Problems

video card browser videos

• Please log in to reply

Gasol

Gasol

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello lads.

It is about a week since I have an annoying problem.

When I'm on a browser and want to see a video, it seems it run very slow and with interruption, take a long time to load, things like that.

I'm wondering what can I do to resolve this problems. Can you "scan" my programs and give me some advices like codecs, updates or something like that?

Thank you in advance.

I use WindowsXP SP 2, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and Mozilla Firefox.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Gasol,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

I use WindowsXP SP 2

Microsoft no longer provides support for XP which has made it a target for the online bad guys, still running SP2 puts you at even more risk as you have a lot of security updates missing, you should install SP3 asap, see here

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Interesting!

I download Speccy but I can't install!

I double-clicked and nothing happend. I tryed to open with right clicke, tyed even with run as administrator and can't open!

Now I remember it is not the first time when I want to install something and nothing happen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

What anti virus software do you have.

What is the storage capacity of the hard drive and how much free space is available on it.

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I use Avast Antivirus.

Storage capacity is 320 Gb, 6 partitions.

On C drive I have 1,80 Gb free.

PS: I watch at Propreties of the program I download (Speccy), and saw at security said "This file came from another computer and might be block to help protect this computer" and near it is an "Unblock" button. Maybe here is the problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Avast is good but only having 1.80GB of free storage space on the partition where Windows is will be what is causing you problems, you need to free up some storage space asap before XP corrupts or the HDD fails mechanically, see my canned explanation below, forget Speccy for now please as you have more pressing issues to deal with;

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularily important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Unfortunatelly the capacity it is a big problem for me.

PC is from 2007, and I take it with 20 Gb on C.

So, in this moment, free space is at 9%.

I must find a solution because the other partitions are almost full too.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You need to back up the data to disc/s or USB devices such a thumb drives or an external hard drive and then free up the space, I`m afraid that there is nothing that we can do until you have done so.

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Maybe it is time to bought an External HDD. Or it is better to take an Internal one?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Adding a second storage device is a good idea  :thumbsup:

An internal drive will be less expensive but an external HDD more convenient as it does not mean opening the computer case up, does your computer have space for a second HDD.

Advertisements

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Yes. I have space for another HDD.

I want to ask you if this will affect the configuration. Need more RAM, or another processor? Or give another HDD is not use more resources.

I have only 2 Gb of RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

A little bit more power from the PSU is the only additional resource that will be needed.

You need to check the type of drive that you need SATA or IDE, let us know if you need help with finding out.

Ten_dollar_bill

Ten_dollar_bill

• Pip
  • 8 posts

To answer a few things: buying an external HDD would be more convenient if you have an extra power point on your power strip, but the speed of the drive would be throttled by the speed of your USB port, either 1.0(very old), 1.1(newer, but still old), or USB 2.0(still newer, but slower than USB 3), but at least you could transfer programs out of your C: partition, to at least get your drive to at least the minimum 15% that scandisk needs to properly run. Adding another internal HDD will not affect your ram, but you could possibly have more of a performance boost with a larger power supply, since the newer drives, SATA, or IDE, will have faster speeds. A higher power supply will also aid in your video cards graphics, but make sure you are getting the right one, since some graphics cards are different, and some need a direct plug from the PSU. And how long has it been since you checked for a GPU(Graphics Processor Unit) driver upgrade? Check the website of your GPU to see if they have updated their drivers, make sure you have the right one for your model, and install it. You might also want to see if you need either an update for Adobe Flash, or if you have your videos set to display to a setting that means it has to buffer before displaying(720pHD, 1080pHD). Most of the videos on YouTube now have multiple resolution settings,(from the cog) and depending on your GPU, and internet speeds, age of the card you're using, will stutter.

Hope that helped.

Cheers from New Zealand :)

Pete.

Tdb

Gasol

Gasol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Thank you guys.

My option was for an external HDD (1 Tb).

In this moment I have @3,7 Gb free from a total of 19,5 Gb. I think I can't won more than 4 Gb of free space on C.

I made some mistakes when I buy PC because I ask for five partitions, and only 25 Gb (*19,5 Gb real) on C drive.

But was 2007. Times are changing.

Unfortunately I still have the problems with videos. A few weeks ago I was able to see videos with many tabs open.

Now it is hard just with one.

I know that all companies/sites take a lot of changes every day and it is hard for an old PC like mine to keep pace with this.

I know Microsoft was sgutdown the support for XP. But maybe I'm not "up to date" with important programs, or maybe somewhere are programs who give issues, maybe is video card. I don't know.

I'm ready for your ideas.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You need to back up the data to disc/s or USB devices such a thumb drives or an external hard drive and then free up the space, I`m afraid that there is nothing that we can do until you have done so.

Unfortunately I still have the problems with videos. A few weeks ago I was able to see videos with many tabs open.

Now it is hard just with one.

I know that all companies/sites take a lot of changes every day and it is hard for an old PC like mine to keep pace with this.

I know Microsoft was sgutdown the support for XP. But maybe I'm not "up to date" with important programs, or maybe somewhere are programs who give issues, maybe is video card. I don't know.

I'm ready for your ideas.

Sorry but got to be blunt here as you do not seem to be taking on board the consequences of the disc space on partition C: being so low, soon you will not be able to open any tabs as XP will become unbootable, there is not enough space on the C: partition to install XP SP3 or for Windows to even move files around, I strongly suggest that you do not use the computer on the internet until the present issues are resolved.

Back up your personal data from the HDD to another source such as an external USB HDD, format the partitions needed to free up around 60GB and then merge them with the C: partition to make it larger, a C: partition of 80GB will do you fine with Windows XP, you will be able to install SP3 and any other updates that are still available, how to merge the partitions within XP tutorial courtesy of Mini Tool here