Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP620 laptop not responding, freezing, flashing, going really slow [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

If you have the settings for FF plugins to update automatically then it should do this. I'm pleased to hear it's running better now so we'll leave it be. :)

If you do need any of the plugins you can always enable them again.

For excel I would like to do a reg fix to see if this will fix the issue. First back up the registry.

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
erunt.png

Then run this FRST fix

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f

• Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe on your desktop.
    FRSTfix.JPG
  • Run FRST by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator and press Fix
  • On completion a log (fixlog.txt) will be generated.
  • Please select all text in this fix, copy (CTRL + C) and then Paste (CTRL + V) in your next reply.

Things for your next post:
  • fixlog.txt
  • how is excel performing now?

Edited by Bruce1270, 25 February 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Bruce1270

Excel is running faster at the moment, but still getting the same error, but I can put up with that as it is responding and faster.  FF is still working better but was better without itunes addin but at least I know what it is so can disable it if necessary.  So that just leaves Outlook now.  wonderful thank you.

Dawn

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x86) Version:17-02-2016
Ran by da (2016-02-26 21:42:26) Run:6
Running from C:\Users\da\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: da (Available Profiles: da)
Boot Mode: Normal

==============================================

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f
reg: reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f

Restore point was successfully created.

========= reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f =========

ERROR: Invalid syntax.
Type "REG ADD /?" for usage.

========= End of Reg: =========

========= reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f =========

========= reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" /f =========

========= reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /v command /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d w_1^VH%!!!!!!!!MKKSkEXCELFiles>tW{~$4Q]c@II=l2xaTO5 /e /f =========

==== End of Fixlog 21:43:10 ====

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

Looks like the reg fix didn't work so I'll have a look at that.

I'm out of town today so wont be back until Sunday and I'll get back to you.

Sorry for the delay.

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Bruce1270 Just responding in case the system closes down my topic.  Hope you had a good weekend.

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

Sorry for the delay.

We'll try the reg fix again to see if that gets rid of the excel error.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f

FRSTfix.JPG
  • Run FRST by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator and press Fix
  • Please select all text in this fix, copy (CTRL + C) and then Paste (CTRL + V) in your next reply.

Outlook

Office Diagnostic is a powerful method to fix most of Outlook setup related issues or missing file to Registry related problems.

To run Office Diagnostic:

Outlook 2007: Go to Help and Select Office Diagnostic or Go to All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Office Diagnostic

Things for your next post:
  • fixlog.txt
  • How is Excel running now?
  • Did office diagnostic identify any issues?

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Bruce1270

Excel still giving me an error sometimes, but not everytime, which is a big improvement on how it was at the beginning.  I can live with it if you like its not a huge problem now. 

Outlook, I have run the diagnotics as requested but didn't find this very good before as I have run it several times in the past myself.  It didn't find any problems.  Outlook is still flickering and not opening in the front of the other programmes but it is much improved on how it was at the beginning as well.  Have we exhausted all the solutions?  I am away for the weekend so will not be back online until Sunday evening.  Thank you for your continued support and patience with this problem.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x86) Version:17-02-2016
Ran by da (2016-03-03 20:24:41) Run:7

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f

========= reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f =========

The operation completed successfully.

==== End of Fixlog 20:25:18 ====

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi Pumpkinace

No worries. I'll give it some more thought and see you on Sunday. :)

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Im back lol.  Did you have a good weekend.

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

Hope you had a good weekend. :)

I have a further reg fix which will hopefully cure the excel error for good. Once it's run please let me know if the error has now disappeared.

CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f

FRSTfix.JPG

For Outlook I want to see what is in your addins key. Please run the script below and paste the output in your next reply.

CreateRestorePoint:
    reg: reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins"

FRSTfix.JPG

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Yes thank you I did.  Just tried opening excel and it is still giving me an error occasionally.  Not all the time.

Excel log

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x86) Version:05-03-2016 01
Ran by da (2016-03-08 12:49:27) Run:10

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f

========= reg add "HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8\Shell\Open\Command" /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\" /e \"%1\"" /f =========

==== End of Fixlog 12:49:50 ====

Outlook log - this went mad again yesterday when I tried to search for a contact, kept flashing so fast and not responding same as it did.  In general though it is working faster.

Ran by da (2016-03-08 12:47:12) Run:9

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins"

========= reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins" =========

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Apple.DAV.Addin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\BtOfficeAddin.BtOfficeIntegration.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.OMSAddin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\OutlookChangeNotifier.Connect
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Search.OutlookToolbar

==== End of Fixlog 12:47:35 ====

Advertisements

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

Just tried opening excel and it is still giving me an error occasionally. Not all the time.

OK. If excel is functioning normally and the error only occurs occasionally then we'll leave it as is.

For outlook I'm going to turn off some of your addins so they won't load when Outlook starts to see if this helps.

First back up the registry

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Start ERUNT
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
erunt.png

Then please run the following script.

CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Apple.DAV.Addin /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\BtOfficeAddin.BtOfficeIntegration.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

FRSTfix.JPG

Restart Outlook and let me know how it behaves.

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Bruce1270

Outlook has gone slower again and now gets 'ghosting' whilst its not responding which it hasn't done for a while now since you first started to help me with this. Clicking for a search and it went crazy again.

Ran by da (2016-03-08 22:14:22) Run:11

fixlist content:
CreateRestorePoint:
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Apple.DAV.Addin /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\BtOfficeAddin.BtOfficeIntegration.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg: reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

========= reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Apple.DAV.Addin /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f =========

========= reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\BtOfficeAddin.BtOfficeIntegration.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f =========

========= reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1 /v LoadBehavior /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f =========

==== End of Fixlog 22:14:55 ====

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

hmm.. what your are describing with Outlook not responding usually means it is not interacting with windows for some reason. Do you have other programs open when running outlook? What happens if you run it as the only open application - is it any better?

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,714 posts
Hi pumpkinace

hmm.. what your are describing with Outlook not responding usually means it is not interacting with windows for some reason. Do you have other programs open when running outlook? What happens if you run it as the only open application - is it any better?

pumpkinace

pumpkinace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hi Bruce1270 sorry for the delay been too busy to open up the laptop for a couple of days.  I have only had outlook open when testing and likewise with FF and Excel.  I have opened up outlook today and it is really playing up again.  I had to open the task manager to end the programme after several mintues of it not responding/flashing.  I will be away again for the weekend so you won't hear back from me until Sunday evening.  Thanks