Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New windows

• Please log in to reply

Tommyburns

Tommyburns

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
How do i delete windows ? I have a new version off windows i want to install . my old version allways has problems , but i dont know how to remove the original version .

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Depends on what version you want to install. If you want to install XP and it's a Microsoft setup CD, just boot from it to start setup. It will detect that you have an older version of windows installed, then you can simply tell xp setup to delete that partition (C:). XP setup will then ask you where yo want to install XP. Select 'unallocated space' (that's where old version used to be), XP setup will format it then starts installing XP.

However, IF you are going to install 98 or ME. Boot from a startup floppy then type FORMAT C:
When it's finished your old version will be gone and you'll have an empty C: partition. Pop in the 98*admin CD and type SETUP and press ENTER.

Tommyburns

Tommyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I dont think this will work . I have the original xp vesrison that came with my pc and a windows xp recovery cd , but i continue to have problems with it . I have downloaded windows xp with service pack 2 off a torrent site and im not sure if it will just automaticcally delete the original version when isntalling the new