Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 15 3521won't power on

Dell laptop laptop battery laptop power supply

• Please log in to reply

stormyshewolf

stormyshewolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello out there!

I have the Dell 15 3521 and it's dead. It won't power on at all. This happened out of the blue in July. It just turned off and hasn't powered on since.

I took it to a local computer shop who told me they could recover my hard drive for quite a bit of money and I told them no thank you and brought it home. I don't know if they had it powered on somehow (I'm thinking they had another battery they used) to come to the conclusion that my hard drive was toast or not.

I've tried the suggestions here about holding the power button and all that but one thing I did notice, the power cord light goes out when I plug it into the laptop.

If I move the cord around on the power supply I will get a light flash of light from the power cord, but it won't stay on. It will stay on if I don't have the laptop plugged into it though.

I have plugged the cord in now with the battery in and with it out and no power either way.

Is there anything else I can do short of buying a new battery and power cord?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Stormy

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   stormyshewolf,

If I move the cord around on the power supply I will get a light flash of light from the power cord, but it won't stay on. It will stay on if I don't have the laptop plugged into it though.

First thoughts are that your AC adapter is bad which has resulted in your battery being flat meaning that neither is capable of powering the notebook, there are other possible causes though such as a system short, a damaged DC jack port and a build up of static in the system. 

I've tried the suggestions here about holding the power button and all that 

To avoid me repeating things that you have already tried can you explain a little more about what you mean by "holding the power button and all that" 

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Not heard back from you stormyshewolf, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

srinadh

srinadh

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi phillpower2,
I have exact same issue with my Dell 3521 which is same as stormyshewolf. I have tried below
1 removed battery
2 removed power cabel
3 holding power button for 30 sec to discharge static energy.
4 power on the laptop without battery

still i can see the same issue.. only power light was on, it is not going off eventhouh i press the powerbutton to power off for long time

What can be the issue ? how can i resolve it ? should i have to give it for service.?

Edit by phillpower2;

srinadh replied to at own thread here