Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's BACK! (Resolved)

Best Answer redsox1 , 11 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

They called.... hard drive. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

redsox1

redsox1

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Sorry, wrong box. Anyhow it keeps shutting down. HELP PLEASE!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello redsox1,

We could do with some more information about the shut downs themselves, when do the shut downs normally happen, when gaming or connected to the internet as two examples, is the computer giving you a BSOD when it shuts down or just shutting off without warning.

38ºC is not hot for a notebook but fwiw Speedfan is more accurate when used with desktop computers as notebook MBs do not have the same thermal sensors + OEM software can cause anomalous readings, to help with making sure the notebook is running as cool as possible take a look at the HP article here

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

It happens without warning,at any time. I'm not a gamer, so it's just when connected to the internet, or trying to. No BSOD. OP? Don't see a "follow this topic", only "unfollow this topic". Also get a lot of "recover webpage". and IE closing. Is this related?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sounds more like a driver or a security software issue than a hardware or Windows problem, see below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

You are already shown to following your thread thanks  :thumbsup:

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Ran it. Where do I find the URL to send? Not too puter savvy. Sorry!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries, please see the attachment below;

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Didn't see anything like that.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I do hear a faint pop when it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Apologies for the delayed reply  :(

Can you run Speccy, grab a screenshot of the results page and attach it to your next reply, we will hopefully be able to guide you from there;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Don't have all that in 8.1, at least I can't find it. http://speccy.pirifo...ltMNK18dOZtKYLX copied that

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Link not working I`m afraid  :(

Are you running the test and then copying the results url, see if the info here helps any.

:oops:  missed a bit  :whistling:

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I can do that, but then how do I find the clipboard to send it? Sorry so stupid!

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Now "enter" key not working

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Come back to the Enter key if needs be but if you have a USB keyboard use that if you need a keyboard meanwhile.

Run Speccy, when completed, click on File, select publish snapshot, proceed = yes, select open in browser, left click on the url to highlight it, right click to copy the url, in the dialogue input (reply) box here right click and then select paste from the drop down box. 

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

When I right click here, it doesn't give me the option to paste.