Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's BACK! (Resolved)

Best Answer redsox1 , 11 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

They called.... hard drive. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Save the log as a text file and attach it to your next reply;

Please edit out any product key codes such as for Windows etc

To save the current Speccy profile in plain text:

In Speccy, click File and then click Save as Text file.
In the Save As dialog box, select a folder and change the file name if necessary.
Click Save.

To save the current Speccy profile in plain text:

1. In Speccy, click File and then click Save as Text file.
  2. In the Save As dialog box, select a folder and change the file name if necessary.
  3. Click Save.

•  

Advertisements

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Got it saved, but don't know how to post it>

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Just checking first, did you edit out your product key code for Windows etc.

See attachment below for uploading the log - first, click on the More Reply Options tab, bottom right of dialogue input box;

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What is the product key foe windows? I told you I'm not all that smart with this stuff, that, and being over 70. lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If you look at your saved Speccy log you will see something like the following example;

Operating System
Windows 8 Professional 64-bit.
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 09/01/2016 12:20:06
Serial Number: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

You will note that I edited out the five Xs five security digits, please do the same with your log before attaching it, btw, you will need to save the log again once you have edited it, no big deal as it only takes one click.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Attached File  LAPTOP.txt   277.7KB   489 downloads     Hope this is it.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Looking at your Speccy log your hardware all looks good, this suggests a software issue which will take a bit of investigation.

You are using Kaspersky AV, is this a paid for product or a free or trial version, we may need to temporarily uninstall it for testing purposes.

First thing that I suggest you try is booting the computer into Safe Mode only and then try using the computer for the most basic of things, if no shut down, restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking repeat the same types of use as in Safe Mode only but this time also try connecting to the internet, post back with an update for us when both of the above have been tried, how to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8.1 here

An explanation of what we are attempting to achieve by doing the above; when booting into Safe Mode only the bare minimum amount of drivers are loaded, if the computer runs ok in Safe Mode we then try Safe Mode with Networking to see if the computer still runs ok, if it does it suggests that network card and internet service are ok and that another service is causing the problem, AV programs and their drivers are one of the most common causes of conflicts and that was why I have asked about Kaspersky above.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Kaspersky is paid. I don't do anything on the computer except internet.  FWIW, I get a lot of "recover webpage" errors. I checked around and everyone seems to say it's a toolbar. The only toolbars I have are Kaspersky protection plugin, and protection toolbar. Tried to disable them, and they just enable themselves.

Edited by redsox1, 19 January 2016 - 02:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

We need to see the outcome of the following then;

First thing that I suggest you try is booting the computer into Safe Mode only and then try using the computer for the most basic of things, if no shut down, restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking repeat the same types of use as in Safe Mode only but this time also try connecting to the internet, post back with an update for us when both of the above have been tried, how to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8.1 here

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

no internet access in safe mode with networking. says no connection available. it will sometimes run for hours, sometimes minutes.

Edited by redsox1, 19 January 2016 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
no internet access in safe mode with networking. says no connection available. 

That is odd, as implied the internet should work because the drivers for the network device are meant to load. 

it will sometimes run for hours, sometimes minutes.

Was this in both Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking.

Temporarily uninstall Kaspersky following the steps that you will find here, please make sure that you have a record of your Kaspersky licence key first, once done, check that Windows Defender has been re enabled and is protecting your computer then use the computer as you normally would to test.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Don't have my Kaspersky license key. I only ran it for a short time in safe, as I said, all my time on here is on the internet. Never got there. This thing says ont connected, no connection available a lot. NOW ITS STUCK ON CAPS LOCK> THATS NEW

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Find your Kaspersky product key using one of the steps detailed here and then uninstall it.

If you have problems with your keyboard and have a USB one available use that.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I opened the access panel on the bottom (one screw) and blew it out as someone told me it may be just dusty. Now I can't get it to start. the power light won't even come on. What have I done?????

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Unfortunately you have found out the wrong way that following the advice of more than one forum or person can cause all sorts of problems  :(

Was the access panel that you removed the one that covers the memory.