Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's BACK! (Resolved)

Best Answer redsox1 , 11 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

They called.... hard drive. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Don't know how to do quotes, but, yes it was the panel that covers the memory. I unplugged everything, took out the battery and held the start button for 20 seconds then left it for an hour. It started up and ran..............for awhile, same as before. It still won't start in safe mode with networking.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Disconnect the AC adaptor cable, remove the battery and the Ram access panel, press the power on button for 20 seconds, ground yourself on something like a radiator and then remove the Ram, leave it out for 5-10 mins before replacing it, replace the Ram cover, connect the AC adaptor (no main battery) power up and see how it goes then post back with an update for us.

Will come back to the following later if the above does not resolve the issue.

It started up and ran..............for awhile, same as before. 

It still won't start in safe mode with networking.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Did all that. Had ti use battery to get it to power up. Started real fast, but only lasted a few minutes. Having trouble getting start light to come on. now only have gray screen. (I'm in South Florida, couldn't find a radiator to ground myself. lol)

good thing I have my wifes computer, you'll be hearing about this one soon!!!

Edited by redsox1, 24 January 2016 - 11:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Had ti use battery to get it to power up.

Just so that I have this clear, are you saying that the notebook would not power up when you tried to power it using only the AC adaptor and no battery in place.

(I'm in South Florida, couldn't find a radiator to ground myself. lol)

Glad to see you have not let this get to you  :thumbsup:

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Oh, it's got to me........big time, I live on the edge ov the everglades, and I'm ready to feed this thing to the gators. I live on SSI, so no money for a new one or I would!

No, it would not start without the battery in. By the way, I'm on it now..

In South Florida, no radiator to ground myself.....lol

Edited by redsox1, 24 January 2016 - 11:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No, it would not start without the battery in. By the way, I'm on it now..

The computer should run without the main power brick in place, in fact it is recommended that the battery be fully charged and removed when there is access to a permanent live feed so as to prevent damaging the battery by overcharging.

While the computer is running can I ask you to check what the battery charge is showing, does it charge fully and if the battery charging LED stays lit.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

The little battery looking thing is full, and the light is on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How does the computer behave if you disconnect the AC adaptor and use battery power only.

Can you examine the DC jack port on the notebook to see if it is loose or if the polarity pin in the centre of it is loose or bent at all.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

It wo't start without battery. It DID start without power adapter unplugged. I have I unplugged now. When I tried to start it without the adapter, I had to remove the ram, remove the battery and drain power. When I do that, after reinstalling everything, it runs real fast, then slows down.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Got it to start without battery. Be glad when it's fixed, so sick of recover webpage! It takes 15 minutes to get into Facebook

Everything seems tight, and the pin is straight.

Edited by redsox1, 26 January 2016 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sounds like a bad power supply.

Can you examine the DC jack port on the notebook to see if it is loose or if the polarity pin in the centre of it is loose or bent at all.

Have you done this.

It takes 15 minutes to get into Facebook

Unlikely that this is directly affecting your internet connection, your wireless device having power problems could do though.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for a reply from us, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

JAFYI: You should only use the edit tab to add information to your last reply while waiting on a reply to your last post from us, we do not receive notification when posts are edited and had I not checked back I would have missed your update.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I'm leery of doing a clean boot. The only way i'd attempt it would be to print it out, and I don't have a printer. Why do I have a line through everything here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It is not recommended but you could try running the tool without doing the clean boot.

The line through your text was most likely because the strike through tab on the task bar had somehow been selected.

Just a thought, why not upgrade to Windows 10 while it is still free. 

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Is 10 any good? I heard they were giving it away to test it.