Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU Exploded From Inside... (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

Fingers crossed then that the PSU blew before any charge got through to your hardware, if by chance it has and caused damage you should take the issue up with the merchant from where the PSU was pu... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

76broadband

76broadband

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'm trying to build a computer.

While trying to plug in the PSU, something exploded from the inside of the PSU. It is a 1000 watt PSU, and I want to know if the electricity fried everything else.

The specs are AMD Athlon II, 8 gigs of Crucial RAM, HDD, DVD drive, EVGA GPU, and wireless card.

Is it possible to determine whether or not everything is messed up without plugging in a different power supply?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
While trying to plug in the PSU, something exploded from the inside of the PSU. It is a 1000 watt PSU, 

Was the PSU running when you tried plugging it into the MB or were you only plugging it into the wall socket.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Is it possible to determine whether or not everything is messed up without plugging in a different power supply? 

No but there is a particular way that you should go about testing the hardware individually once you have a known good PSU.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

While trying to plug in the PSU, something exploded from the inside of the PSU. It is a 1000 watt PSU, 

Was the PSU running when you tried plugging it into the MB or were you only plugging it into the wall socket.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

No but there is a particular way that you should go about testing the hardware individually once you have a known good PSU.

It was already plugged into the motherboard at the time. I was plugging it into a wall socket. I'm not exactly sure if the PSU was running at the time of the explosion, but I'm almost certain it wasn't.

The model number is: ATX-1000-N12S. It is from Shark Technology

Edited by 76broadband, 10 February 2016 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Fingers crossed then that the PSU blew before any charge got through to your hardware, if by chance it has and caused damage you should take the issue up with the merchant from where the PSU was purchased,

A painful experience and sorry to say that you will not get anything near a quality 1000W PSU for what the Shark units cost, a quality brand 500W bronze rated PSU costs around the same or slightly less.

Let us know when you have a decent PSU available and we will help you to test your other hardware.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Fingers crossed then that the PSU blew before any charge got through to your hardware, if by chance it has and caused damage you should take the issue up with the merchant from where the PSU was purchased,

A painful experience and sorry to say that you will not get anything near a quality 1000W PSU for what the Shark units cost, a quality brand 500W bronze rated PSU costs around the same or slightly less.

Let us know when you have a decent PSU available and we will help you to test your other hardware.

Understood; thank you for your assistance. I will surely post here when I get a new PSU so the hardware may be tested.

We all learn from our mistakes, and this is definitely a lesson learned!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome 76broadband  :)

We will be here when you are ready to test  :thumbsup:

FWIW: I hope that you are not being hard on yourself over the choice of PSU, many others have done the same in the past and will do so again in the future and most of the time it is or will be because of how a certain PSU is marketed, for example, theoretically a 1000W PSU should be able to power most users computer with ease and that is what sellers push ** 1000W ** in big and bold letters, problem is when tested cheap brands like Shark and others cannot produce anything like 1000W, are made of cheap materials, are assembled badly and are unstable when put under load.

For yourself and others, my canned text for guidance on purchasing a new PSU;

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Any potential PSU should have a minimum of a Bronze efficiency rating.

When purchasing a PSU that needs to support an add on video card you must check what the add on card manufacturers power supply recommendations are and adhere to them, please note that the recommendations are the minimum and using anything less if proven will void any warranty should the add on card fail due to being underpowered.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic, see links in my sig below for brands to trust and brands to avoid at all costs.

76broadband

76broadband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

You are most welcome 76broadband  :)

We will be here when you are ready to test  :thumbsup:

FWIW: I hope that you are not being hard on yourself over the choice of PSU, many others have done the same in the past and will do so again in the future and most of the time it is or will be because of how a certain PSU is marketed, for example, theoretically a 1000W PSU should be able to power most users computer with ease and that is what sellers push ** 1000W ** in big and bold letters, problem is when tested cheap brands like Shark and others cannot produce anything like 1000W, are made of cheap materials, are assembled badly and are unstable when put under load.

For yourself and others, my canned text for guidance on purchasing a new PSU;

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Any potential PSU should have a minimum of a Bronze efficiency rating.

When purchasing a PSU that needs to support an add on video card you must check what the add on card manufacturers power supply recommendations are and adhere to them, please note that the recommendations are the minimum and using anything less if proven will void any warranty should the add on card fail due to being underpowered.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic, see links in my sig below for brands to trust and brands to avoid at all costs.

I have gotten a new PSU, and everything seems to work properly.

I do thank you for your assistance and suggestions!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Glad to hear that all is well and especially that no other hardware was damaged, thank you for the follow up 76broadband  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)