Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Girl in Extreme Need of Help (USB related!)

• Please log in to reply

Jenny1986

Jenny1986

• Pip
  • 1 posts

My boss needs to get a spreadsheet off one of the PCs in my office. The problem is:

1) It has not been able to connect to the internet for a few months (nothing obvious that can be sorted today - maybe a network card problem)

2) It doesn’t want to recognise any of the few USBs I have tried

Anything I can do here? Any way of getting it to recognise the USB?

Thanks,

Jen

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   jenny1986,

First thing that I would suggest is checking that the USB ports are enabled, not sure of your computer knowledge so forgive any questions that may appear a little obvious;

Do you know how to start the computer in Safe Mode.

Do you know how to restore the motherboards default settings in the BIOS.

Have you checked the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow ! or red Xs against the USB ports or other devices.

What is the brand and model name or number of the computer.

What OS, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

My boss needs to get a spreadsheet ...

As this is a work environment, you should perhaps approach your internal IT and see what they have to say.  It might be that they have locked down the USB ports on each PC to prevent employees from connecting unauthorised devices (such as non-work equipment).  They might do this because it's one of the ways in which malware - malicious software - can get onto a corporate network (where I work it's a sackable offence to connect unauthorised devices to your PC).

They may also have done something to lock out Internet access.

If it's a NIC (Network card) problem, then that may need to be replaced.  Can you connect to the internal corporate network?  If so, you could copy the required spreadsheet to a network share to which you have access - that's a short-term solution anyway.