Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build help please! (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

Cooler Master TC-102 w/ 500 watt power supply.  Not intended as a lecture only an explanation, Cooler Master do not make the best of PSUs and when purchasing a case you should opt for one... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Streck90

Streck90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi my name is Robert, I just got started on my first PC build and need some help. To start here are specs.

Motherboard: MSI A68HM-E33 V2
Processor: AMD X4 860K
Graphics: Gigabyte GV-R938G1 4GB
Ram: 8 GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix
Tower: Cooler Master TC-102 w/ 500 watt power supply.
No disc drive at this moment.

Onto my heartbreak, the system starts up but I don't receive a video signal or my BIOS isn't booting. Now I have tried it with and without the Graphics card and alternating out the RAM. My only conclusion is the power supply possibly? But that is why I came here hopefully this is the right place. Please help, and I will try to offer any missed information if possible.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Streck90,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the new build  :(

Your MB has video ports but unfortunately your CPU does not have integrated graphics capability, specs here

While we are troubleshooting can I ask that you first check that the 24 pin ATX connector, the 12V 4 pin ATX connection for the CPU, the CPU cooling fan and the add on video cards 8 pin connections are all securely in place.

Are you using a USB or a PS/2 wired type keyboard, if the USB type, please try a PS/2 wired type and continually tap the F11 key when you try and start up the computer to see if that gets you a display.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Streck90

Streck90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Your MB has video ports but unfortunately your CPU does not have integrated graphics capability, specs here

While we are troubleshooting can I ask that you first check that the 24 pin ATX connector, the 12V 4 pin ATX connection for the CPU, the CPU cooling fan and the add on video cards 8 pin connections are all securely in place.

Are you using a USB or a PS/2 wired type keyboard, if the USB type, please try a PS/2 wired type and continually tap the F11 key when you try and start up the computer to see if that gets you a display.

Tip
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

I did not see a 8 pin connector for my video card, I do have an extra 4 pin that is coming from the power supply. Would I be able to use an adapter to plug into the video card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer
Cooler Master TC-102 w/ 500 watt power supply.

Not intended as a lecture only an explanation, Cooler Master do not make the best of PSUs and when purchasing a case you should opt for one that does not ship with a PSU, this because you are not getting it for free + you will need to purchase a decent quality brand PSU in any event, a 500W bronze rated quality brand costs $45 onwards so you will not be able to purchase a case and good quality PSU for the same or even $60 more.

Please read the reviews here for proof that the PSU is no good

The very reason why I asked you to confirm that those particular connections were in place and securely was because I suspected that the PSU would not have all of the required connectors and being honest I would not use the present PSU anywhere near computer hardware or an adapter with anything power related.

You need to purchase a good quality PSU before you do anything else I`m afraid.

Streck90

Streck90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Tip

I did not see a 8 pin connector for my video card, I do have an extra 4 pin that is coming from the power supply. Would I be able to use an adapter to plug into the video card?

I figured as much, basically I wanted to try and cut off price at 500 and for the most part I did my goal. I came to terms with a new PSU last night. I just wanted to hear it from somebody who knows more than me so I knew it was the right call. Thanks for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Example PSU here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How are things going Streck90, has a new/appropriate PSU been fitted and resolved the issue.