Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Computer After Installing SSD

• Please log in to reply

Jacks88d

Jacks88d

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello guys and gals, I installed a Samsung 850 EVO PRO 500gb SSD yesterday and today my PC is extremely slow. I booted up my computer and noticed that Windows takes about 2 minutes to get past the login screen and then the all desktop icons are white for about a minute which stops me from launching any apps. Oh, and just to be clear I did not migrate my OS or anything like that to the SSD its just being used as a storage drive for STEAM.

EDIT: Important note I have a 2tb Toshiba hard drive (not SSD) that contains my OS(Windows 10) with 100gb of other apps.

My steps for installing SSD:

1. Unpackage SSD

2. Turn off computer

3. Plug SATA to USB cable into the back of SSD

4. Plug SATA to USB adapter into the computer

5. Turn on computer(Normal boot time btw)

6. Install Samsung Magician app

6a. Run wizard and it Detects SSD :yeah:

6b. Perform other recommendations from the Samsung Magician app

What I did after:

Migrated steam+game library over to SSD

Migrated League of Legends

Amazed that it only takes 10 mins for like 300gb of stuff

Played the games and noticed faster load times, and pretty nice performance overall

Turned computer off after a night of gaming

Today:

Installed SSD to an internal SATA port

Turned computer on

Notice that Windows Login is taking longer than normal

Extreme slowdown at desktop

Googlefu again

Spent a couple hours trying to figure out whats wrong :smashcomp:

Found a suggestion to configure boot order

Restart PC

Pushed DEL for Bios

SSD not detected in Bios (My HDD is detected) :headscratch:

No "boot order" options

Now I'm here asking for help. :spoton:

EDIT: I enabled AHCI by using the Windows 10 regedit fix so I didn't have to reinstall anything, anyways Samsung Magician now states that AHCI is enabled(was disabled before) and that my SSD is connected to a "SATA 6(Gb\s) (SATA 3) port". I still experience the slow startup after the Windows login screen though. :smashcomp:

EDIT 2: I found a video on youtube that is exactly what is happening. I already tried the autohide fix and it didnt work, and besides that my problem only happened after installing my SSD. The only thing the video doesnt show is that after im on the desktop and I click the ^ arrow to see apps in the taskbar(right?) I can see each app loading super slow.

Edited by Jacks88d, 14 February 2016 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday Jacks88d.

4. Plug SATA to USB adapter into the computer

Was that plugging into a USB, 2.0 o r 3.0 port?

Please give a link to the adaptor you purchased. 

Was it not possible to plug into a internal SATA port on the computer?

Jacks88d

Jacks88d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My Computer:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B010TRGSE0

Adapter:

http://www.startech....SP~USB3S2SAT3CB

I should of mentioned that I followed a tutorial online on how to install a SSDs. The tutorial stated that new SSD drives should be initialized first by using a USB to SATA adapter which I purchased from amazon, and then I followed the rest of the tutorial. Once everything was okay I installed the SSD to an internal SATA port by following another tutorial. I will update my  main post to reflect those missing details.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question about the USB port, I honestly don't know if I am correct, but are the "blue" usb ports 3.0 and the "black" usb ports are 2.0? If so then I plugged the adapter into the front USB 3.0 SS slot which I assume SS means Super Speed? :rofl:

Edited by Jacks88d, 13 February 2016 - 09:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

You were correct, front USB ports are USB 3.0.

It is not nec. to use an adaptor to detect and initialize a drive.   When connecting to an internal SATA port, note the number of the port,  > boot and enter BIOS, >  If the drive is NOT detected you may need to enable the SATA port   select SATA AHCI/raid mode for the selected Port.   > Go to exit menu, save settings.Boot into windows.

You can use Magician or Disk Management to initialize and format.

Navigate to Disk Management, > Right-click the unallocated region on your New disk, and then click New Simple Volume.  > In the Wizard, click Next.  > accept the maximum default size, and allocated drive letter, then click Next.  > To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.  > Review your settings, > click Finish

Did you backup your steam settings before migration? https://support.stea...=8794-YPHV-2033

Did you create a Destination on the SSD.   When you install Data/Programs to the SSD/HDD, you must install to a Folder to contain the Data, if you just copy to or move to, without a destination, (Folder), it will be to the Root of the drive and spread it all across the drive.

Moving Steam.   > https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

On that same page, links for Uninstalling/Installing Steam. 

If you disconnect the SSD, can you boot to windows OK?

Jacks88d

Jacks88d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I copied three folders Hi-Rez Studios(Smite), Riot Games(League of Legends), Steam(A bunch of games) to my empty SSD drive, and my SSD contains three folders which the directory for one of them is Z:\Steam are you saying that it should be Z:\Folder\Steam? I have not noticed any problems with my steam library so the games work fine. I did have to use a bat file to fix the Smite installation though. :)

Edited by Jacks88d, 14 February 2016 - 07:35 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

This is the original path, (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).   Your new directory should be Z:\Programs Files, "Programs files" being the destination folder,  when you copy//paste the required files,  the path will be, Z:\Programs Files\Steam\   Please read, > https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

I think that with the SSD connected, There may be duplicate Steam Files on C:\ and Z:\ 

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam, expand the Steam Folder, is Steam.exe listed?

Jacks88d

Jacks88d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

This is the original path, (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).   Your new directory should be Z:\Programs Files, "Programs files" being the destination folder,  when you copy//paste the required files,  the path will be, Z:\Programs Files\Steam\   Please read, > https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

I think that with the SSD connected, There may be duplicate Steam Files on C:\ and Z:\ 

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam, expand the Steam Folder, is Steam.exe listed?

I copied Steam deleted the folder and then used the CCleaner app to fix the registry. I then launched Steam and it detected everything on its own. I will change the directory though right now and see if the boot thing is fixed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday Jacks88d

Did you cure the slow/lagging Boot issue?