Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive State Power Failure (Resolved)

* * * * - 1 votes

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hello EricF, Glad to hear that you have made progress with this   Couple of pointers below; I have Windows 10 installed on a computer that I rebuilt.   Whenever I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

EricF

EricF

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have Windows 10 installed on a computer that I rebuilt.

Whenever I restart or reboot the computer, I see a message indicating that there a Drive State Power Failure has occurred and that it will need to reboot.  It then reboots and everything appears to be working.  I do have a legacy floppy disk that is not recognized.  It is connected by an IDE to SATA converter board, powered by a power lead to the power supply.  The SATA connector from this board is plugged into a SATA connector in the Motherboard.  I have tried different motherboard SATA ports.

I am wondering if anyone can explain this error message and help me to troubleshoot it.  I have no idea if it is related to the floppy disk driver.  I will follow any steps that are recommended.

Thanks in advance.

EricF

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello EricF,

I would be inclined to agree with your suspicions that this is related to the FDD being that it is such dated technology.

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

EricF

EricF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for looking at this issue.

My Device Manager does not show any red Xs or Yellow !s.  In addition Device Manager does not show the Floppy Drive and the floppy drive does not show up in a Belarc Advisor Report.

i am not familiar with the Driver_Power_State_Failure message as I have not gotten it on other hardware.

Any information would be appreciated.

EricF

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay, got sidetracked yesterday  :(

As the FDD is not reported in Device Manager or Belarc it would be hard to imagine that it was responsible

I suspect that this could be a Windows issue and would suggest that we look there first, can you first of all completely disconnect the FDD from the computer and use the computer as you normally would to see if you still get the Driver_Power_State_Failure message, if you do, please disable Hibernation using the steps below, test and post back with an update for us.

Open the Win+X menu, click on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

NB: In case you are not aware, Windows 10 does not generically support FDDs, if you are able to get the FDD detected you will need to manually install drivers for the device (if any are available).

EricF

EricF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello PhillPower2.

I unplugged the floppy drive.  I then started the PC and did not get the error message.  So I shut down and restarted several times.  Still no error.  I still have hibernate turned on.  Should I encounter an error, I will follow the rest of your instructions and turn hibernate off from the command prompt.

At this point, I believe that having a SATA connection to an unknown device that did not show up in Device Manager was causing the recurrent problem.

Thank you for your instructions.  It helped a lot.

EricF

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello EricF,

Glad to hear that you have made progress with this  :thumbsup:

Couple of pointers below;

I have Windows 10 installed on a computer that I rebuilt.

Whenever I restart or reboot the computer, I see a message indicating that there a Drive State Power Failure has occurred

At this point, I believe that having a SATA connection to an unknown device that did not show up in Device Manager was causing the recurrent problem.

Has the FDD been used with the same MB before but running a different OS such as Windows 7, reason that I ask is because if it has worked with the same MB before it would suggest that it is less likely to be a hardware issue, the Driver State Power Failure message is a Windows related error meaning that the attached hardware passed the power on self test (POST)** the BIOS passed control over to Windows but something then tripped Windows up when it was trying to load, this more often than not is driver related which in turn can be caused by an incompatible/unsupported device.

** The FDD may not have been detected at all by the BIOS and that is why the MB passed the POST and is not a sign that the FDD is supported or actually functional, is there any mention of a FDD in the BIOS/Boot sequence, not likely on more modern MBs but possible on pre Vista/Windows 7 computers.

Driver State Power Failure errors are common when waking a computer from sleep/hibernation, it does tend to be more of a problem with notebooks though.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you EricF, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

EricF

EricF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

PhillPower2

I ended up unplugging the SATA connector the floppy drive as well as the power connections to the floppy drive and to the FDD-SATA interface card.  The problem with the Driver State Power Failure has been resolved.

The problem had started when I put a more modern motherboard in the computer.  The new bios did not mention a FDD in the BIOS/Boot Sequence.  I initially installed my prior version of Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10.  Hibernate was set on.  I had tried to find a Windows 10 driver for the FDD, but I could not.  The interface/adapter might also have needed a driver.

It is a desktop computer.

I have not used a floppy disk in a long time, so i will leave the device in place as a totally vestigial appendage on my tower.

Thank you for your help.  Now I am on to a new problem involving an MBAM popup.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and the popul has gone away.  When the trial version expires, I will not continue trial and revert to the free version.

EricF

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Frightening as it may seem but the FDD was being phased out by OEM brands such as Dell as far back as 2003 so it is not surprising that generic drivers are no longer included in Windows 10 and the same most likely for the adapter, anyhow glad to hear that the issue is now resolved and thanks for letting us know.

Sounds like you have the MBAM issue under control but if you need any help let us know what the problem is, if it appears to be malware related I will provide you with the GTG malware redirection information.