Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Won't Boot, Won't Start in SafeMode (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

Lamentation, Looks like Windows may have become corrupted due to lack of free storage space on the C: partition, you need to back up any important data from the HDD asap as there... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lamentation

Lamentation

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Greetings all, and thanks for your help in advance. I have a Asus N55SL laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. A few days ago the laptop failed to boot the OS. The Windows logo appears but then it fails to boot and offers to repair. It will not repair itself. I have tried tools such as bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /Fixboot, and bootrec /Rebuild BCD.  I have run FarBar Recovery Scan tool and have a TXT file that I could share if anyone can help. 

Advertisements

Lamentation

Lamentation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Here is the FRST.txt

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   44.39KB   226 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:    Lamentation,

Looks like Windows may have become corrupted due to lack of free storage space on the C: partition, you need to back up any important data from the HDD asap as there is a chance that the drive could fail mechanically, let us know if you need to back up any data from the drive and we can do that first. 

Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:300 GB) (Free:15.15 GB) NTFS On a 300GB partition you need at least 75GB of free storage space available all of the time.

Partition 1: (Not Active) - (Size=25 GB) - (Type=1C) This is hopefully a recovery partition so if all else fails and you do not have a Windows 7 DVD or recovery disc/s this can be used to restore the HDD to out of the box new.

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped, you should also click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Lamentation

Lamentation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for your response, I am in the the process of backing up the important information from the HDD. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Once your data has been backed up can you post back and let us know if you are able to boot into Safe Mode at all, hopefully you can and then from there be able to free up some space on the C: partition so that Windows can create system restore points, new shadow copies and be able to install security updates etc.

You are welcome btw  :)

Lamentation

Lamentation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have backed up all of the data that I would like to save to an external hard drive. It will not however boot in safe mode. Do I need to delete all of the information from the hard drive? I'm currently using Linux Mint which I booted from a USB to access the files and copy them. The windows OS will not boot.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If you have a Windows 7 DVD you could free up some space and then attempt to repair the present installation or alternatively see if you are able to use the ASUS recovery partition and start afresh, I have copy paste the steps for the latter below;

Restore from the Recovery Partition

Start your notebook and press the F9 key on your keyboard until you see a loading screen.
The restoration program prepares the files needed for the operation.
A message appears asking if you want to perform the operation. You will lose all files on your machine.
Confirm by clicking ?.
The restore process is done automatically, without any human intervention.
At the end of restoration, the machine will reboot on its own and make configurations.
A restart is performed again, and you find yourself on the setup process of Windows, same as the first boot after buying the notebook.

At one time you would have been able to download a Windows 7 ISO to use for a repair or reinstallation but Microsoft have put a stop to this for OEM (brand name) computers insisting that people obtain the recovery media from the manufacturer of the computer instead.

Lamentation

Lamentation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I followed the steps you provided. Thanks for your help. Fresh windows is now available to me, I think I'll upgrade it to Windows 10, seems MS is actually servicing that OS. Thanks again. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Microsoft didn`t get it quite right with Windows 8/8.1 but have done with 10 imo, pretty much the same as with Vista not being as warmly received as XP but then MS got it right with Windows 7, 10 is the way forward but in case you are not aware you can roll back to 7 if you do not like Windows 10 but you must do so within 30 days or the Windows old folder becomes no more.

May I suggest that once you have upgraded to Windows 10 that you create a back up image of your HDD so that you can avoid having to go through this worry again, Essexboy has kindly done a nice tutorial for this here

Anyhows, glad that we were able to help and you are most welcome  :)