Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PDF Architect hijacking PDFs in the browser

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I used to recommend to my clients to use PDFCreator as a free program that would allow printing to PDF files instead of having to pay for Acrobat.

Lately they've started auto updating and including PDFArchitect which is an alternate editor, but does not work for many of my clients' workflows or compatibility with their other programs. But it automatically becomes the default program upon installation.

When opening PDFs in IE, they open in a pop up window within IE using the PDFArchitect plugin.

Regardless of anything I have tried, uninstalling the program, uninstalling or disabling just the plugin, searching for remaining files or registry keys and deleting those... PDFs now attempt to open in the pop up window, but since the program is missing it is just blank. I have tried repairing Adobe Reader and Acrobat, changing their view settings, and I still have issues.

I have Googled around and can't find any other sites addressing this issue, and really need to get my clients working again without having to reimage their computers...

Has anyone here seen or fought this issue before? Any ideas?

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,273 posts
  • MVP

Have you tried going into the Control Panel, Default Programs. Set Associations then scrolling down to .pdf ?  Does it look like this?