Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Second Hard Drive in Laptop Not Recognized (Resolved)

Best Answer Sasha100 , 18 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

You are welcome and good look with the replacement HDD, you will hopefully post back soon with better news  Good news! I took the hard drive back to computer store and they put it into another... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Sasha100

Sasha100

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Dell XPS L1701X, it is now running Win 10 which Dell is not supporting in this machine, but I have had it installed now for 6 weeks and seems to be running fine. It has a 500 GB Western Digital original hard drive.  I installed a second WD 500 GB hard drive in the second slot but it wasn't recognized by the BIOS or 'disk management' (it doesn't show up on either). I updated the BIOS to A10. I removed the second hard drive and then moved the original hard drive into the second slot and all is well. I put the new hard drive into the now vacant first slot and once again no recognition.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

Note: I have posted this issue on the Dell community website twice in the past month but have received no help so I have pulled the Post.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello Sasha,

Before Windows is able to recognise the drive it will need to be allocated a file path and drive letter, see below;

1. Right click on the Start menu on the task bar.
2. Select Disk Management.
3. Right-click on the drive/letter you want to change and click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Change...
5. Use the drop down to the right of Assign the following drive letter: to select a new drive letter.
6. Click OK.

NB: It may sometimes be Create New Volume.

Sasha100

Sasha100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello Sasha,

Before Windows is able to recognise the drive it will need to be allocated a file path and drive letter, see below;

1. Right click on the Start menu on the task bar.
2. Select Disk Management.
3. Right-click on the drive/letter you want to change and click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Change...
5. Use the drop down to the right of Assign the following drive letter: to select a new drive letter.
6. Click OK.

NB: It may sometimes be Create New Volume.

As I said in my post, the hard drive does not show up in either the BIOS or 'Disk Management', so I can't assign a drive letter or path.  Or, I am missing something?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello Sasha100,

Apologies, I overlooked the obvious in your OP  :blush:

The common denominator appears to be the second/additional HDD as the original HDD works in both slots but the second works in neither, this means that HDD #1 and the notebooks HDD two slots are ok and that it is HDD #2 that has issues.

Was the second HDD out of the box new as it appears to have been DOA, a very remote chance this because notebook SATA HDDs do not have jumpers but can you check just in case any are present.

Sasha100

Sasha100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello Sasha100,

Apologies, I overlooked the obvious in your OP  :blush:

The common denominator appears to be the second/additional HDD as the original HDD works in both slots but the second works in neither, this means that HDD #1 and the notebooks HDD two slots are ok and that it is HDD #2 that has issues.

Was the second HDD out of the box new as it appears to have been DOA, a very remote chance this because notebook SATA HDDs do not have jumpers but can you check just in case any are present.

Thanks Technician:

I was thinking the same thing also. I was waiting to hear from first because I was thinking that you may think it was a 'jumper' issue from the mother board sharing the second slot with the DVD slot, or something. But of coarse your right - if that was the case the 'original' hard drive moved over to the second slot would not work. I am returning the new hard drive and will get a replacement. I will let you know how it works out before I close my Post.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

You are welcome and good look with the replacement HDD, you will hopefully post back soon with better news  :thumbsup:

Sasha100

Sasha100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
✓  Best Answer

You are welcome and good look with the replacement HDD, you will hopefully post back soon with better news  :thumbsup:

Good news! I took the hard drive back to computer store and they put it into another laptop and it worked fine, but would not work in my laptop.  They swapped another WD hard drive into my laptop and it worked fine. So - it was a case of that particular model of WD hard drive not working in my Dell Laptop.  Thanks for your help, appreciate your site.  Sasha100 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

That is good news and thank you for posting back with the solution so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)