Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC crash on Linux & Windows

WindowsHardware linux crashes

• Please log in to reply

ahmgeek

ahmgeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey folks, I have a PC that I bought in late 2012, here's the specs:

• MB: GB z77-D3H
  • CPU: Intel I7-3770
  • Memory: 8 * 3 GB, Kingston-1600 HX. - that’s 24 GB of memory -
  • Storage 1: 2 * 120 GB, SSD Kingston one of them is hyberX
  • Storage 2: HDD 1TB WD Black
  • Power: Cougar 1000 WCMX 
  • GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCU II OC 3GB DDR5
  • so, that started I guess in late 2014, after I bought another ssd, a hyperx, and attached it to the pc, I installed linux on it.
    so not I have 3 HDD ( 2 ssd and 1TB WD-Black).
    the problem now is on windows it freeze, suddenly, then a critical process died error thrown.
    on linux, same, freeze, then I have to restart it manually, when I boot linux again, it say that it couldn't mount the 1TB HDD that I use for data.
    on windows it start normally, but it restart suddenly.
    I've changed the sata controller from IDE to AHCI multiple times, it fix it couple of days then the error get back.
    I've diagnosed the memory. but it seems that my memory is fine.

any hints ?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

:welcome:    ahmgeek,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

The problem occurring in both Linux and Windows points more towards a hardware issue, do the following for us if you will;

Restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS, they are sometimes listed as "most stable settings" never select "optimised settings" as it is a form of OCing and causes instability.

Tell us how you tested the Ram.

Post an expanded screenshot of both HWMonitor and Speedfan, details below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.