Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound with realtek HD Audio

Best Answer richocki , 09 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

I received the USB Audio Sound Adapter and it works. Plugged it in started the PC and it was installed. The sales pitch said no drivers needed but Iit did download and install driver(s). It works s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I have not been here for a while which is a good thing isn't it? But now I have a problem....

My system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
                         CPU intel Pentium 2.6GHz, Mother board: Intel DH61CR
                         8GB RAM (DDR3), Graphics: Intel HD, Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

I have Realtek High Definition Audio which has worked for 6 years on my computer until the other day. I noticed it after Windows did its second Tuesday update. Realtek High Definition audio in the Device Manger has the yellow explamation mark by it and the Device status says...
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

I ran the Update driver function and it comes back and says the driver is up to date. I also used the browse function for up dating and selected the same driver that is installed and I get this driver is not recommended because it can not be verified that it is compatable with your hardware.... ect

Windows trouble shooter can not find a problem.

When I open sound in the control panel it says No audion devices installed.

I did a system restore to a point prior to the Tuesday Windows update and the yellow explmation mark was gone so I checked if I had sound by using the Change System Sounds, and it did work. Next day I am back to no sound.

I found and ran the "Microsoft Fixit audio playback trouble shooter" --- it came back and said "we detected some problems with your system and were unable to apply fixes"
The Driver software Installation program ran as a result of running the Fixit (at least I persum that is why it ran)  and said it was installing software for the Realtek HD audio but that FAILED. It recommended consulting the device  manufactureer    but the Realtek site is no use. They have a driver update program you can down load but it did not mention an audio driver in the 3 that was out dated or missing. But even if it did mention the audio driver you have to pay for the program to really use it.

I also ran the  Windows Add HardWare Wizard::: selected the driver that was listed for Realtek HD audio in Device Manager. It went through the motions of installing the sofware and completed but when Device Manager is checked  there is now TWO Realtek High Definition audios listed both with the yellow exclamation mark.

I also ran scan sfc /scannow but it found nothing wrong.

I searched using the driver # listed in Device Manager. Came up with a newer driver and ran the install. After completion I checked the Device Manager and the yellow exclamation mark was gone. I went to the Change System Sounds feature but could not test a sound (grayed out) went back to Device Manager and there was the yellow exclamation mark. I did think about uninstalling the Windows updates but I am worried something else might go
wrong if I did. Any one have any ideas.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello,

it's possible there's a Windows 7 driver that better fits your hardware available from your actual sound card or motherboard manufacturer.

Your motherboard drivers below

https://downloadcent...op-Board-DH61CR

This download record provides the Realtek audio driver version 6.0.1.7240 for Intel® Desktop Boards.

That's the only Idea that i have for now.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Thank you Zep516 for your reply.
I had installed 6.0.1.7673 driver I had downloaded from the Realtek site. I got the impression from your reply that 6.0.1.7240
was specific to my motherboard so I installed it. I uninstalled 6.0.1.7673 and installed 7240 during the installation a window
stating --- Audio device high definition audio bus. Searching windows update... obtaining device driver software from windows update might take awhile. This process comes up FAILED.
Looking at driver status in device manager says
     "This device is not configured correctly (code 1). This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
       To find the drive for this device click on update driver."
Clicked on update driver and when it finished it said "windows successfully updated your device software."  Device manager
shows a Microsoft Trusted Audio Driver and the status says.....
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

One other thing that may shed light on this (I hope) is that the Realtek speaker icon is not showing in the System Tray.
Going in to Customize it is liasted at the bottom of the list and when I click on Show icon and notifications a ballon comes up saying This notification is not currently active. It will be shown next time it is active.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello,

Realtek speaker icon is not showing in the System Tray.

That might come back after a reboot.

What is the make an model of the computer ?

Do we have errors in device manager now ? Right click on the audio driver choose properties, then click details. Please note the driver version that is currently installed and not working.

Can you do a system restore and make the sound work ?

Remember you have the ability to undo a restore point should it be necessary.

If you have done a system restore and the sound is working for now
Please do this,

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy(Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I have rebooted many times since this has happened but the Realtek icon never shows. The computer is a custom built by a very knowledgeable local computer shop. It is 6 years old and the only problem I have had with it was a bad power supply
about 3 years ago.

The only error in the device manager is the Realtek HD audio one. Under Details it says Realtek High Definition Audio.
Under Driver it list the driver as Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Driver Date: 5/6/2014. Driver version: 6.0.1.7240.
Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher. Under General in addition to the status I quoated in my last response it has a Location: Location 0 (internal High Definition Audio Bus).
In Control Panel - Sound - Playback it says No audion devices installed.

I did a restore as I mentioned in the orignal post...
"I did a system restore to a point prior to the Tuesday Windows update and the yellow explmation mark was gone so I checked if I had sound by using the Change System Sounds, and it did work. Next day I am back to no sound."
If I remember right I shut down for the night after doing the restore. When I rebooted the next day and the problem was back I thought that maybe the computer installed the windows updates again I know they are back. I did another uninstall
of the updates and restored but that restore came up with something like the restore did not work and no changes were made to your computer. I will try another restore point and see if I can do what you recommend in your reply. It may not be until this evening that I'll be able to get back to you. Thanks again for the help.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I did 3 restores using 3 different restore points. All failed with the message....
System restore did not complete successfully. Your system files and settings were not changed.
Details:   System restore failed to extract the file (C:\Program Files(x86)\Common files\Microsoft shared\ink\1.0\Microsoft.ink.dll) from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.  I ran Speccy and I hope I attach it correctly.

Edited by richocki, 18 February 2016 - 05:29 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Try the system restore in safe mode

Restart Windows 7, during restart keep tapping the F8 Key
At the advanced boot options menu (Black screen with white letters) use the arrow keys and select Safemode
Press enter let windows boot into safe mode.
Now try a system restore.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I tried 3 different restore points from safe mode and I get the same message. While in safe mode I ran the troubleshooter
for Hardware and sound > audio playback and I got One or more audio service isn't running. Not fixed.
If I run that from windows 7 it says it can not identify the problem.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello,

No system restore, no audio.

Are there any other issues you're having maybe related to malware. Do you have malwarebytes installed ?

Have you run any Malware scans ?

Never got the speccy attachment.

Try it this way perhaps
Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I have one other issue that comes up now and then. I get a message box titled "missing file error"
                                                "unable to find local data files. Please reinstall"
I have run Malwarebytes and SuperAnti Spyware with nothing found.
I attached the speccy report to my post, at least I thought I did.
Here is the Speccy web address.  http://speccy.pirifo...lQr84on2BYTfTAR

Did I mention I do not have the Realtek audio Manager icon in the system tray? I have even installed what I think is the manager but nothing shows up. If I click on customize I see it listed and when I select show icon and notifications it says it is "not currently active and it will be shown next time it is active", but I never see it.  By the way when Iselect customize that is one instance I get the missing file error box.

Also, when I open Control Panel > Sound,it says there are no audio devices installed.

Edited by richocki, 18 February 2016 - 10:24 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

I get a message box titled "missing file error"
"unable to find local data files. Please reinstall"

What are you doing when you get that message, are you trying to open something like a browser ?

I can't tell if this onboard audio or you have a separate sound card installed

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

It is on board audio. It looks like it goes right to the motherboard and not a pci slot or what ever they are called now. There is no sound card.
I get that message if I open just about anything in the control panel. Somethings open with out the message and device manager is one of them. It also comes up when I click on customize in the "show hidden files" in the system tray.

Update: I booted to the advanced boot screen, or something like that, and I selected something like disable drive signature enforcement and I have sound. No yellow marks on Realtek HD audio in device manager. In Control Panel > Sound it list the Realtek as the default device. BUT.... I have a yellow mark on the Internet access icon in the system tray but I do have access to the internet.
The network and sharing center does not indicate any type of problem. I know this is not a fix for the problem as security is at risk and it is only for this boot session but maybe you can tell something from this to fix the real problem.

Edited by richocki, 19 February 2016 - 11:36 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hello,

Take your time with this,

Download then run the All in One Repair (free) from here,http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point (if possible) and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/performing_a_proper_windows_clean_boot_on_xpvista78,1.html

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I ran the all-in-one the other day from safe mode and nothing changed. If you think doing a clean boot will provide better results then I have one question before I do it. After following the directions for a clean boot and restart the pc do I run the all-in-one from there or boot to safe mode and then run it?

Seeing that Realtek was working before I did a windows update without the drivers being signed (I read on the internet that Realtek does not have MS sign their drivers) do you think trying to install an old Realtek driver might work. Not sure if doing a windows update would update a device driver or not. I figure I either had a driver that windows 7 did not care if it was signed or not or the update to windows tightened MS's hold on 3rd party drivers.  If you don't think that could be a possibility then I'll go with the clean boot.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

I ran the all-in-one the other day from safe mode and nothing changed.

OK.Good enough !

do you think trying to install an old Realtek driver might work.

Yes. Try it.