Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Capacitors

Capacitors

Best Answer zep516 , 16 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hello, Here's a helpful site Here. that may answer some questions at least until a tech comes along Also http://www.capacitor...sible-failures/ Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi,

One of the graphics cards on a work computer seems to be malfunctioning (computer freezes and lines all over the screen). So i removed the card and the computer works with the motherboard VGA slot. After examining the card i noticed these 5 blown capacitors so im going to replace them just because i want to see if i can. My question is on the flip side of the board under the non blown capacitors there seems to be like a leak? or maybe its supposed to look like that I'm not sure... do they need to be replaced also? Pic Below Red circles indicate the blown capacitors and the yellow circles indicate the ones that look fine unless you look on the reverse side of the card. I can supply better images if needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4182.JPG
  • IMG_4183.JPG

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
✓  Best Answer
Hello,

Here's a helpful site Here. that may answer some questions at least until a tech comes along

Also
http://www.capacitor...sible-failures/

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thanks! From what i have read im 95% sure its just some glue goo that manufactures slap on the base of some parts to help anchor them to the PCB. I am extremely new to this so i thought i would ask :)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You're welcome.

I would invest in a good solder station to do the work and remember the heat from the solder gun can cause damage to other devices near by, so using a heat sink can be necessary.

Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

No worries :) thanks for the advice. Wish me luck haha

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Good luck and you're welcome.

Some of today's boards are probably not meant to worked on at the component level because everything is so small and subject to heat damage from the iron, but it's still fun doing it and you never know you might fix it.

Joe