Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

how to use public wifi hotspot to your own private network?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I'll keep this simple.
My landlord provides free wifi via an unsecured public network. As of right now I connect my iphones, and Laptops to this unsecured network for internet access.
I would like to have my own network but I want to be able to feed his free wifi internet into my network.
I do not have access to his router via ethernet connection, I can only gain access through wifi.
What would be the best most efficient way of getting the free wifi internet into my own network? Is there a router that can connect to a wifi hotspot then transmit a new wifi to a seperate network?

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,273 posts
  • MVP

A WiFi range extender might work for you.

I've used the Netgear one and it works without a lot of configuration.  Not sure if you can change the IP range it uses but I remember it asked me if I wanted to use the same encryption password so expect you could change that.

IF you have a router lying around: