Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Forgotten XP login password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Chriss Haddow

Chriss Haddow

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys

Looking for some help .

i have old work  computer that has some information files etc i am trying to access from Hard drive.

I have not been on it for 18 months and forggotten username and password .

I sthere any way of resetting login details

c

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, Chriss Hadow and welcome to our forum,

:welcome:

We do not deal with password type issues on the forum here, so we regret we are unable to assist you other than as follows.

Because we have no way of knowing, at long range on the forum, who has legitimate access to a computer and who is just trying to break or circumvent the password controls, it has been included in our Terms of Use for this site that we will not assist on any such requests.

We are sure your request is genuine, but alas you will understand the difficulty we face and hopefully understand why this blanket decision (which does not reflect on you in any way)  has been taken.

Maybe the following will assist you:

1 Any person with an  Administrative status account on your computer can reset, alter, add or remove the log in /password credentials, so it would be wise to contact the old works/firm and ask for the log in credentials to be reset. However if you know another person who has an Administrative level account then you could ask them for assistance.

2 When the password(s) were originally set up it is usual to create a password reset disk either on a disc or memory stick, so you could  have a search around to see if you can locate it.

3 If it's only information from the computer files, you are after, then the easiest way to access them, is to use one of the back up copies of the files that were made (they will usually be kept on tape, external hard drive, Memory sticks, other computers, DVD's  etc).

4 You could consult a local competent computer technician, take your computer to her/him together with documentary proof of ownership and a letter from the original owner ( the old works/firm) confirming you are entitled to legitimate access to the machine, and ask for a quotation for the information to be retrieved.

Further than that we are afraid we are not willing to go.

Regards

paws