Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot - winsrv.dll missing

• Please log in to reply

SlurpyCello

SlurpyCello

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) and last week it failed to boot. Also unable to boot to Safe Mode. Tried running Startup Repair and booting from last known good configuration but that didn't help. Also tried CHKDSK but didn't seem to find anything. 
Next step was to try the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, ran a scan and from the FRST.txt file I saw that the winsrv.dll was missing from C:\Windows\System32 folder.
I retrieved the latest version of winsrv.dll I could find from the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder and copied that into the System32 folder but am now getting a BSOD with message:
"STOP: c0000142 {DLL initialization failed} Intialization of the dynamic link library winsrv failed. The process is terminating abnormally"
Have re-tried Startup Repair and ran sfc /scannow from the command prompt to see if that helps but no luck. 

I've attached the latest Farbar scan.

Attached File  FRST.txt   19.2KB   269 downloads

Any ideas where to go from here?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'm running Windows 7 Pro X64 and I do not have winsrv.dll in C:\Windows\system32. All I have is the following:

winsrv-dll.jpg

SlurpyCello

SlurpyCello

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hmmm, that's odd, I've checked a couple of other Windows 7 X64 PCs (one Home, one Pro) and they both had winsrv.dll in the system32 folder.

Here's the original Farbar scan which says the file is missing if that helps.

Attached File  FRST_original.txt   37.82KB   248 downloads

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Found this on processlibrary.com:

What is winsrv.dll?

File that contains the server side version of the 32-bit user and GDI routines (graphics engine). winsrv.dll is a system process that is needed for your PC to work properly. It should not be removed.

I don't have it in C:\Windows\System32 on my:

Windows 7 Pro X64

Windows 7 Pro X86 under Oracle VirtualBox

Windows 10 Pro X64 systems

Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider build under Oracle VirtualBox

Ran FRST on my Windows 7 Pro X86 under Oracle VirtualBox and it did not flag winsrv.dll. Something strange going on here.