Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Challenging video problem

• Please log in to reply

wreckage

wreckage

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello everybody.... Problem in a nutshell: When booting from CD (Win XP, Bart's PE) and from FDD (Win 98 boot diskette), the video (screen image) is perfect. When in setup (BIOS, CMOS, whatever) the vdeo screen image is perfect. When booting to XP, the picture is FUBAR! It is picselated, there are multiple cursor arrows, and it is all but impossible to navigate any windows, etc.
I am perplexed... The HDD is ok.. I was able to navigate and copy/move system files, etc. with Bart's PE. I would assume the on-board grahics is ok, and I've done a total format of the C: drive and re-installed XP Pro without a hitch - until boot time.... then the image appears as above. What am I missing here?

All ideas gratefully considered. Thanks.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
The only thing I can come up with is driver related.

Typically, if the screen is all messed up like you're talking about, the resolution/color settings are too high for the video card you have. I'm not saying your card sucks, but your driver may. You could try booting into Safe Mode and changing the settings down to 16 colors and 640x480 (or however low they go).

Then, if Windows is actually viewable when it boots back up, you can reinstall drivers or even just inch the settings back up until it goes all wonky again (it'll reset to the last settings after 10 seconds or so).

Just an idea.

wreckage

wreckage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
But I've formatted and re-installed - How can it be the driver - it isn't even loaded yet. Oh.. and safe mode has same *&^%ed image.. :-(

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
I was thinking the driver that the XP CD had was faulty, but the image in Safe Mode is wonky?!? That's troublesome.

So, you said that the image was fine in another OS, but only bad in XP? Hate to say it, but that still sounds like a driver. It's onboard graphics, so you can't reseat anything...

Do you have a spare video card to try as opposed to the onboard? It doesn't have to be good, just capable of showing video...

wreckage

wreckage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Do you have a spare video card to try as opposed to the onboard?  It doesn't have to be good, just capable of showing video...

View Post

Yup.. I guess I'll hunt around for one.. it's either the graphics or the motherboard - RAM has tested 100%, I've removed the HDD and tested - it's fine. Just trial and error, I suppose... :-)

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Good luck.

If you don't mind, let me know how that goes.