Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router recommendations

• Please log in to reply

slobote

slobote

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I need to replace an old wireless router. Any recommendations on what brand, model, etc.? I don't think i need ac, a wireless n, dual band version with good range should be fine. Should i just shop by price, or does the brand matter that much when it comes to reliability & range? thanks   

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What router do you have now and what do you need the new one to do?   Do you need one that talks to DSL, Cable, or just to a ISP provided DSL/Cable modem?

Some routers do have a lot more range than others so how important is range?  

slobote

slobote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm replacing an older belkin mod. F5D 7230, 802.11b & g, hooked to an adsl modem. I have at&t dsl service & yes range is important. I'm not a gamer, and i don't stream a lot of movies.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If it's just AT&T DSL and not AT&T U-Verse service then you can replace both the modem and the router and stop paying AT&T for it.  I've used a lot of these

http://www.amazon.co...N/dp/B004NBZ98K

and they have really good range and are easy to set up and I've never had one fail.

Otherwise, I'd get a basic wireless router from Amazon or someone else with a good return policy.  Something with one or more antenna as they seem to have better range.  Something like this:

NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless Router (WNR1000-100NAS (G54/N150))

slobote

slobote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I don't have u-verse, just dsl service. I don't pay at&t for a modem, i have my own, a TP-LINK TD-8817 it works fine & was inexpensive. I just need to replace my ancient router.