Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gamecom 788 not recognized anymore

• Please log in to reply

War Man

War Man

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

For nearly 2 years, my gamecom 788 headset has worked well with my 64 bit Windows 7 computer until just a couple days ago, where it is now an unrecognized usb device. I tried to install the official driver for the headset and while that worked for a day, the next day it resorted back to not being recognized. I tried the various methods here except for the regedit one(can't find regedit anyway), and none of them worked. I may have also done some other stupid stuff that might possibly mess up my computer. I even tried plugging it to different USB ports.

I don't know if it is my headset malfunctioning, usb port problem(it's not like I routinely plug it in and out on a daily basis, I just kept it plugged in on my computer until this started happening) or some other problem. I just don't know how to fix this.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello War Man,

Have you tried reverting back to a system restore point that is before the issue started, if yes and no joy I would suggest that if at all possible you try the headset on an alternative computer to see if it works ok there.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

That is what I forgot to mention, yes I tried that and it didn't work(system recovery did not fully work though so I may have some other computer problem). Also tried to do it on my windows 8 laptop, but that didn't work either(but it never worked on my laptop even before I had this problem). Tried it on my brother's windows 10 PC, but it is unrecognized(doesn't have driver though)

I hope I don't have to get a new headset.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Polite reminder

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...7gjELxV4NryZVW1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

The software for the headset is on the HDD but it is not shown to be installed;

GameCom780.exe
Process ID: 1856
User: SEAN
Domain: SEAN-PC
Path: C:\Program Files\Plantronics\GameCom 780 & 788\GameCom780.exe
Memory Usage: 8.04 MB
Peak Memory Usage: 8.04 MB

Any present audio is being provided by the GTX 550Ti add on video card;

Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

You should worry more about hard drive failure than the non working headset;

Storage
Hard drives
ST31000528AS ATA Device
Manufacturer: Seagate
Form Factor: 3.5"
Heads: 16
Cylinders: 121,601
Tracks: 31,008,255
Sectors: 1,953,520,065
SATA type: SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type: Fixed
ATA Standard: ATA8-ACS
Serial Number: 6VP9A16F
Firmware Version Number: CC46
LBA Size: 48-bit LBA
Power On Count: 4946 times
Power On Time: 392.9 days
Speed: 7200 RPM
Features: S.M.A.R.T., AAM, NCQ
Max. Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Used Transfer Mode: SATA II 3.0Gb/s
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 931 GB
Real size: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes
RAID Type: None
S.M.A.R.T

War Man

War Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

How do I fix this? Don't want to use my monitor speakers forever.