Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 10 Nvidia driver causing lock ups (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

No problem   One of the things that can trip a driver installation up with Dell computers is them being installed out of sequence, this does not need any human intervention either since a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ardant

Ardant

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I had windows 8.1 and tried to upgrade to windows 10 several times unsuccessfully. I then figured I would just forget it and continued with windows 8.1. About a week or so ago there was an update so I applied it and that is where the problems started. The computer would lock up on boot up.I would turn it off then back on again and then it would lock up again. I turned it off then back on again and got the troubleshooting screen. I tried several options to get it up and running but it kept locking up. Eventually I did a reset and the computer downloaded windows 10 and everything was working fine.

That is until it decided to update my Nvidia drivers. Now it locks up on boot up and windows 10 keeps downloading the driver. I made a restore point so I am able to keep restoring to that point but it is getting annoying.

Any thoughts on how to correct this issue or stop the drivers from constantly loading?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello Ardant,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB and add on video card if one is used, these details will enable us to better assist you  :thumbsup:

Ardant

Ardant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Sorry I should have known better. :oops:

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 Series -7737 laptop.

The video driver that is currently installed that works is Intel® HD Graphics Family. The driver Windows 10 keeps wanting to upgrade to is NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

Hope this helps some

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
✓  Best Answer
No problem  :thumbsup:

One of the things that can trip a driver installation up with Dell computers is them being installed out of sequence, this does not need any human intervention either since automatic driver update tools came about, what I would suggest you do first of all is make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers installed, check here if/when you have done so, delete all traces of the present Nvidea drivers, create a new folder on your desktop and name it Dell drivers, download and save the video drivers to the folder**, restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) install the video drivers that you saved, restart the notebook as you normally would, test and let us know how it goes.

Took the liberty of including the download link and Dell install instruction albeit with my contribution in red :)  

1. Click Download File to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive (or folder on your desktop)

Installation

1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Read over the release information presented in the dialog window.
3. Download and install any prerequisites identified in the dialog window before proceeding.
4. Click the Install button.
5. Follow the remaining prompts to perform the update.

** If Dell wont let you save the drivers to the folder, save the drivers to the HDD then move them to your folder from there and then continue the above steps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Not heard back from you Ardant, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Ardant

Ardant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Sorry been busy. I did not get through all your steps before the update took. I guess it was a chipset problem that was causing the crash. I have been testing it and so far all seems to be good. I do have one question though. When I look at the video adapter in the device manager I show two video adapters. Is that normal in Windows 10? I have the NVidea  and the Intel graphics HD. Both are active and everything seems to be working fine

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

No problem, was just checking that you were still around  :thumbsup:

Had a feeling that it was out of date chipset drivers causing the issue when you mentioned upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10 but not updating the chipset drivers as well, you are one of the lucky ones as Dell and other OEM brands are not spending time and resources on developing Windows 10 drivers for all of their computers running earlier OS.

I do have one question though. When I look at the video adapter in the device manager I show two video adapters. Is that normal in Windows 10? I have the NVidea  and the Intel graphics HD. Both are active and everything seems to be working fine

Yes this is normal, in the case of a notebook like yours that has dual graphics the notebook will only use the HD graphics produced by the CPU when the computer is not under any particular load, browsing or doing office or school work as two examples, if you then do something more video intensive such as gaming or streaming videos the notebook automatically switches to the more powerful dedicated graphics device, this is to help prolong battery life when not using the AC adapter and to keep heat inside the notebook to a minimum. 

Ardant

Ardant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Thank you for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

You are most welcome, glad that we were able to help and thank you for the follow up Ardant.