Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP on Restart

• Please log in to reply

CK11851

CK11851

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello ; My name is Chuck and I have a problem with my PC that I have never seen before. Thats not unusual though, since I am a Newbie at this stuff anyway.
The other day I went to start clicked turn off my computer ( running XP Home) and clicked restart . My computer shutdown as usual but failed to restart at the corect time.
I am getting a dos pg. telling me windows will not start due to one of the following, powr surge, needs to restart in safe mode, or restart as usual.
Well I tryed all of the listed ways to start but it had no effect. I jacked with it for a couple days doing all I new to do ) not much) and all I could find to do ( less) to no avail.
Well as a last resort I ran my norton Ghost back up . It worked. My Pc was running again. So I shut it down then started again, No problem. I was happy. So I worked all day on my computer trying to catch up. At the end of the day I was affraid but I shut down anyway, and went to bed. The next mornning I hit the button and, ..crash. It would not boot again! I was ticked. I did the ghost again. Its been running for 6 days now. I would like to shut down but Im affraid it want start. Do You no what kind of problem I am haveing? I dont. Can someone tell me how to get started with out messing something else up? If so, Thank you . Just help some how.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is ghost an incremental or full back up?

Where is the image stored?

CK11851

CK11851

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The Ghost is a full back up of my c/drive that I stor on an external hard drive. Im glad I have it . It has brought me back to working twice. Although I realy dont no what wasn't working. I just know that it would not boot up when I turned it on.
The Norton Ghost back up is how I got back now. I am afraid when I turn it off it will not work again. I hope I am wrong. I hope all goes well from here out. Im just trying to see what to do incase it want start again?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first, check for errors

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
enter

look for RED Xs in system

If it seems ok, I would back up data (new stuff) and then turn it off. If it craps out again, you know it was not a fluke and it is likely harddrive. I would then debug the drive try that, and if it still fails, buy a new drive.

CK11851

CK11851

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
could it be a soft ware problem? A glitch in XP ? Or something else. Like I said I kept it up 5 days now. No problems. But its a start up problem, that the Ghost apparently has as well since I have used it twice. How could that be. Ghost gets it going than in a couple days its not fixed again. ? thats why Im a newbie!

CK11851

CK11851

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Gerryf; I went to run eventvwr.msc
enter I checked it out . In the system tab ther were all kinds of red Xs and yellow signs and warnnings so I just closed that up and came back to you hear.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
pure speculation on my part, but if I must guess, I think you had a hardware problem where the disk mbr or partition table is corrupt....restoring it from the ghost image overwrote the bad info the first time, but the underlying problem remained (failing disk or bad spot).

I am still a little fuzzy on the first error you got--it's unclear what you mean as only one error was mentioned and the rest were options.

the actual error would be useful.. could be something incredibly simple like a bad motherboard battery

CK11851

CK11851

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Some how I missed that too. It said an error has occured and then listed the options three of them. Non of the options did anything at all. I allways ended back were I started. An error has occured It gave a couple of options as what might have caused the problem , One was a power surge or low voltage. If there was anything else I cant remember. than it gave the restart options. safe mode as usual, or last known good settings. I tryed all of the above and nothing happened. I used the ghost and it started it . The ghost was sucssesful and once again it was working. I used it all day. Turned it off that night . The next day it would not start again . I ghosted it with the same back up and it worked again. That was 5-6 days ago. Im affraid to shut down

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why be afraid? You know you can get back to this point...shoot, you're in better shape then 90 percent of the people who come here.

Look at it this way....if there is going to be an issue, you get to choose the time and protect yourself in advance. Shoot, you're the luckiest guy on the forum today.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Gerryf; I went to run eventvwr.msc
enter I checked it out . In the system tab ther were all kinds of red Xs and yellow signs and warnnings so I just closed that up and came back to you hear.

View Post

I really need to know what these are

(missed that earlier)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I will make this easier

eventquery /l "system" /v /fi "type eq error" > c:\system.txt

select the above, right click, choose COPY

start > run
cmd
enter

right click in the box, choose PASTE

hit enter

now open c:\ in my computer and attach system.txt

to next post

CK11851

CK11851

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well Ive been tryin to get that reporet to you but cant make it happen. Sorry I lost you yesterday but our lights were doing crazy things all evening. Electrical dids! sevral of them. Crashed my system like 5 times before I gave up and just did a cold hit the off button for 5 second shut down. This morning and it started fine after about 2 or 3 disk scans or something it came on and is still running. I will just keep my fingers crossed for a few days and see what happens. I still dont feel like I did anything. But I will let you know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok....