Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Boot Errors

• Please log in to reply

lahunter

lahunter

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm new so forgive me if I do not do this properly.

Here is the problem, I am working on a Gateway that has Windows 2000 installed. There was an error message Invalid System Disk so I checked the Internet and checked and tried some suggested fixes. The one I tried that messed me up is I put in a boot disk (Windows 95) and did a sys c and it told me system transerred was successful. Now when I boot I get starting Windows 95 and it tells me it is missing or is corrupt msdos7\himem.sys and msdos7\ifshlp.sys then it tells me it renamed config.upg and autoexec.upg and they are not located in c:\msdos7 directory and it cannot find win.com. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
augh....holy crap.

got a windows 2000 disk?

do you know what format the drive was (fat32?)

lahunter

lahunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
We do have a 2000 cd, he tells me there are 2 hard drives in the PC. We have tried to install on C: but it does not have enough room. I believe it was Fat32.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think i would try booting to the recovery console off windows 2000 cd, then typing

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

(that's a zero)

you've replaced/place windows 95 system files in the boot record, which is then looking for the windows 98 directory and files.

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0 will rewrite the master boot record for windows 2000

I hope. I have never seen anyone do what you did before.

lahunter

lahunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will try that and let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
crossing my fingers

lahunter

lahunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is what I can tell you - one hard drive is not working. This is the one that had windows installed on it. When I did the sys c it went onto the second hd which does not have enough room to install windows. So he is getting a hard drive and will have to start over. He may try and recover some data - hope it works for him. Thank you for giving me some options but he did not want to try it as it would erase everything. Next time, I think I will just tell him to call his tech support people. Problem solved - not really but I'm done with it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that would not have erased his data--just repaired the master boot record that was destoryed by the sys command.

lahunter

lahunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well that is what he was told from whom ever he talked to. Wish I knew more. Maybe I will let him know this and see if he would like to try. Sorry for wasting your time, but I can tell you that I am learning so I am appreciative.