Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which one is best Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Pro (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

You do not need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate for gaming or watching videos, Windows 7 Home Premium will do for that and it is less expensive, check the attachment below and you will see what each vers... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

shoomi

shoomi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello friends i am new here on the forum. My brother bought a Desktop PC for me. I need honest advice which Operating system should i go with. I have two choices one is Windows 7 Ultimate other is Windows 7 Professional.I mostly used computer for gaming purpose. I prefer to use computer for entertainment purpose. Which operating system suits me and my pocket.

Advertisements

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

The Windows version you choose depends on what you want to use the computer for. Since you want to use the computer for entertainment purposes, either of the versions will suit you just fine.

shoomi

shoomi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The Windows version you choose depends on what you want to use the computer for. Since you want to use the computer for entertainment purposes, either of the versions will suit you just fine.

Thanks Gman147 for your opinion. So which Opreating system cost me less.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If I may chime in while Gman147 is offline  :)

Not sure why you can only choose between Pro and Ultimate but in answer to your question Pro is typically the least expensive of the two but only because it does not have all of the features of Ultimate, one of the most notable being the inclusion of Language Packs in Ultimate as standard whereas they need to be purchased separately with Pro, no biggie if you don`t need them though.

Does the computer have 8GB or more of Ram to get the best out of the 64-bit version of either OS.

shoomi

shoomi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If I may chime in while Gman147 is offline  :)

Not sure why you can only choose between Pro and Ultimate but in answer to your question Pro is typically the least expensive of the two but only because it does not have all of the features of Ultimate, one of the most notable being the inclusion of Language Packs in Ultimate as standard whereas they need to be purchased separately with Pro, no biggie if you don`t need them though. windows 7 product key

Does the computer have 8GB or more of Ram to get the best out of the 64-bit version of either OS.

I don't know much about to choose between OS that is why i asked it here. I told above why i need it, On the other hand I also want to save money while picking up windows 7 professional or  windows 7 Ultimate

Edited by shoomi, 01 March 2016 - 12:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

You do not need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate for gaming or watching videos, Windows 7 Home Premium will do for that and it is less expensive, check the attachment below and you will see what each version of Windows 7 can be used for.

Does the computers hard drive already have an OS on it, you may qualify for an upgrade which would be less expensive again.

I also asked;

Just trying to help you get the best OS available to you and for the best price and to do that we need to know some info about your computer.

If your computer has an OS on the HDD such as XP or Vista you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if the computer is compatible, see here

shoomi

shoomi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You do not need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate for gaming or watching videos, Windows 7 Home Premium will do for that and it is less expensive, check the attachment below and you will see what each version of Windows 7 can be used for.

Does the computers hard drive already have an OS on it, you may qualify for an upgrade which would be less expensive again.

I also asked;

Just trying to help you get the best OS available to you and for the best price and to do that we need to know some info about your computer.

If your computer has an OS on the HDD such as XP or Vista you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if the computer is compatible, see here

Every thing was erased when i got the PC. My Computer has 4 GB Core 2 Dou. I dont know much about 64 BIT VERSION OF OS. I Guess Windows Vista or XP was previously installed on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

4GB of Ram and a Core 2 Duo processor will run Windows 7 64-bit fine as long as you also have a minimum of 128MB of graphic memory, do you have an add on video card or are you using a video chip integrated into the MB, this is important as it will determine what games you can play and how good video quality is.

Out of stock at Newegg but an example of what Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM may cost on disc here and the download versions here

shoomi

shoomi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have checked my graphics card it has specification of 128 ATI. I guess it is enough for my gaming needs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If those are the right specs then that is a very old low level AGP video card that will not play most modern games, ATI - RAGE 128 ULTRA VIDEO CARD Can You RUN it will tell you the specs required to run most games, see here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you shoomi, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

JAFYI: If that is the video card that you have, there are no AMD Windows 7 drivers available for it, see here if your computer is a brand name such as Dell then you might get lucky and find Windows XP drivers but definitely not for Windows 7.

shoomi

shoomi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Not heard back from you shoomi, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

JAFYI: If that is the video card that you have, there are no AMD Windows 7 drivers available for it, see here if your computer is a brand name such as Dell then you might get lucky and find Windows XP drivers but definitely not for Windows 7.

So sorry Phillpower2 I was busy on my personal matters that's why I couldnt come here.Hmm understand so should i replace my card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries at least you are still around, we get so many abandoned threads that we have to ask if assistance is still required when a thread goes quiet.

If that is your present video card then upgrade options will be very restricted as AGP video cards are basically obsolete, if you post some more information about the computer it will be a help, is the computer a brand name such as Dell or HP, if yes, what is the model name or number, if a custom build, post the brand and model name or number for the motherboard and the power supply unit.

Can you also tell us what games you are hoping to be able to play.