Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cheap Laptop + HDD Swap?

• Please log in to reply

thailen

thailen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

I have an HP Stream 13-Laptop. I thought it was a great buy for the price, until I learned it's cheap primarily because it has a 32GB HDD. Can I buy a 500 GB HDD and swap o;ut? If I can, which HDD can I buy that will fit?

I'm planning to buy another cheap laptop, which I can buy even cheaper. I can even tell you which laptops to choose from, if you tell me which HDDs will fit it?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't think so you can change out the HD.  Apparently its "HD" is really an eMMC so it's attached to the motherboard.  What you can do is get a microSD and stick it in the slot on the PC.  Currently the largest you can get is 128GB but they tend to be pretty expensive.  However a 64GB is reasonable:

http://www.newegg.co...1-652-_-Product

and that would give you a lot more room than you have now.