Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running SUPER slow. (Resolved).

slow performance

Best Answer phillpower2 , 19 March 2016 - 03:01 AM

Apologies for the delay getting back to you klockdoc, been rather busy elsewhere I`m afraid   Not saying with 100% certainty that you are but it is entirely possible that your computer is... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Running XP.operating system. I searched several areas for a similar problem, but didn't find anything.

The computer was slow, but I recently took AVG off and installed McAfee anti virus. Now it takes almost 5 minutes for the browser (Firefox) to open. Anytime I try to do anything, the computer generally either takes a long time, or locks up.

I tried to remove some programs, but have several parts of them that didn't remove.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello klockdock,

Have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode and/or Safe Mode with Networking to see if it runs any better.

Did you use the AVG removal tool before installing McAfee, if not you can get AVG Remover from here

I tried to remove some programs, but have several parts of them that didn't remove.

What programs were they.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I noticed that with task manager,there is two processes of explorer.exe running. Don't know if this is normal or not.

I have used HighJackThis before and noticed that I have several register links that says "file missing" I have tried to delete them, but they don't go away. Don't know if these are confusing the system somehow.

I have occasions when I have a site open, I get an error message that the script is busy. Most times I have to shut down Firefox. Sometimes it doesn't want to close so I have to go into task manager to clear out the process.

Other times I have problems with the video side and have to close down the plug in container through task manager.

I still have remnants of malwarebytes program that I can not get rid of. Still in uninstall programs, but when trying to uninstall...it's still there.

When I turn the computer on, it comes up with an install hardware window. I believe it is for a mouse. Even after it is is installed, it starts all over again until I hit cancel

Here is the url for the Speccy     http://speccy.pirifo...UlfO4H6CtXQQlyJ

I noticed that the motherboard is at 91degrees centigrade. 193 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this too hot?

I tried the AVG removal, it says there wasn't any remnants on the machine, however, the Speccy shows AVG running.

Well, this should be enough to look at for now.

Thank for your help

Mike

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode and/or Safe Mode with Networking to see if it runs any better.

Can you answer this for us.

I noticed that the motherboard is at 91degrees centigrade. 193 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this too hot?

Yes way too hot if the reading is accurate, your voltages look ok btw but we will come back to this for you in due course.

tried the AVG removal, it says there wasn't any remnants on the machine, however, the Speccy shows AVG running.

Have you looked in Add/Remove programs to see if there is any mention of AVG there, it is sometimes necessary to install the latest version of AVG and then use the AVG removal tool to get rid of that.

Will wait on your next update for now as knowing how the computer behaves in Safe Mode is important.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Sorry for the late response. Working long hours on 2nd shift. I tried the safe mode with networking mode and the computer was realluy responsive. Web pages loaded up quickly and everything acting normal.

I looked in the add/remove programs listing and could not find any sign of AVG on the computer.

When restarting the computer though, I had several .exe programs that would pop up and say the initialization failed and would delay the shutdown.

CTFMON.exe

Presentationhost.exe

notepad.exe

msiexec.exe

All would state that the application failed because windows is shutting down.

Also, a window would pop up occasionally stating the virtual memory was low so windows was adjusting it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

No worries, we understand that you may have other things to attend to  :thumbsup:

The computer working ok in Safe Mode with Networking means that something else that is loading on normal boot is causing you problems, we will come back to this below.

AVG info acknowledged and again we will come back to it further down

The .exe programs are XP related and may be a result of an out of date OS,  msiexec.exe for example = Microsoft Installer.

Did notice the high memory usage in Speccy 95% to be exact, this is affecting the pagefile which is the amount of data that is temporarily held by the Ram as opposed to being written and stored on the HDD, the virtual memory should be 1.5 Xs the capacity of the physical memory so yours should be 1.5GB and no more, the fact that yours is shown to be double that means that either the Ram is faulty or it is being overloaded with tasks which can only be solved by increasing the amount of physical Ram or by decreasing the amount of temporary or unnecessary tasks that are running.

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 
95 %
Total Physical: 
MB
Available Physical: 
46 MB
Total Virtual: 
3.16 GB
Available Virtual: 
396 MB

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: 
Download Automatically and Notify Prior to Install

What I suggest that you do first is check for and install any missing XP updates that may still be available to you, once done, disable automatic updates and Java as this will reduce the possibility of malware infection, post back once done and I will provide some further suggestions for you.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Update complete and Java Platform turned off

(Took 1 1/2 hours to update a February 2016 update) ;-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Everything" tab

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.

6: Attach to your next reply.

http://www.afterdawn..._in_windows.cfm

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/  a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Everything you requested is complete. Computer started quicker after I deleted the 770 million temp files using TFC.

Here is the Auto Run file  attached   work-7dcfb3f226

TFC file attached   Volume C.txt

Attached Files

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Defrag completed also, but could not find a way to save report

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Can you save the Auroruns log as txt as requested please.

Glad to hear that things have improved performance wise.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

sorry. see attached

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Thanks, will take me a while to go through the log so will edit this reply asap.

Delete the following;

+ "C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG2014\avgrsx.exe /sync /restart" "" "" "File not found: C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG2014\avgrsx.exe /sync /restart.exe" "" ""

Disable only the following;

All Adobe entries.

All Apple entries.

All Cyberlink entries

All Google entries.

All Java entries.

All Nero entries..

All  WinRar entries.

All WinZip entries.

In addition to the above, uninstall any software/drivers for any printer/s that you no longer have.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Done

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

How is the computer performing now.