Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running SUPER slow. (Resolved).

slow performance

Best Answer phillpower2 , 19 March 2016 - 03:01 AM

Apologies for the delay getting back to you klockdoc, been rather busy elsewhere I`m afraid   Not saying with 100% certainty that you are but it is entirely possible that your computer is... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

First time I rebooted after making the changes, it took a little time to come back. I rechecked my steps, checked a few that I had missed and rebooted again.

Still having trouble on the shut down with >dll initialization failed on;

msiexec.dll

dllhost.dll

notepad.dll

explorer.dll

msdtc.dll

cfmon.dll

After restarting I have a screen that comes up saying airpluscfg.exe entry point not found the procedure point in appsapply could not be found in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll

Same message under WZCSLDR2.exe

Then it came up with a blue screen - see attached

I rebooted, this time it came back quicker, but still took almost 6 minutes to open firefox, 11 minutes to get to my home page and 20 minutes to get to my mail to download the picture I attached.

Seems like firefox is running real slow.I had refreshed this program about a week ago, but still seems slow. Occasionally program gives message, Not responding

Attached Thumbnails

• Bluescreen.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Lets see if we can sort your internet connection issue first which I suspect could be related to McAfee;

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport

NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport

Use the guide here to uninstall the McAfee miniport adapter software.

NB: As you only have 1GB of Ram I would suggest that you consider using an AV that is lighter on system resources than McAfee is, Avast free would be ideal.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I tried following the guide as it stated, but kept receiving errors.

See attached. Maybe the path is wrong?

It says the specified service is not installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• CMD screen.JPG

Edited by klockdoc, 09 March 2016 - 12:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Is McAfee a paid for product, if not, uninstall it and use Avast instead, if paid for, make a note of the licence key first, uninstall it using the McAfee removal tool then download Avast and test.

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Avast! free Antivirus  here

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I got it free through Uverse/ATT. I have used Avast before and it ran slow like now. I actually had better luck using AVG free virus program. Would this be okay, or should we go ahead with Avast?

I had Avast on my wifes computer and AVG on mine. Her's was actually slower until I loaded the McAfee and took off the avast. Mine opposite with the exchange of AVG

Your call

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

We are only troubleshooting atm and you could possibly end up reinstalling McAfee, AVG is a known hog on system resources and nowhere near as good an AV as it once was, I used Avast free for years on all of my computers and never had any infection or technical issue but that doesn`t mean that it is ideal for everyone, try Avast and if no good try AVG but I suspect that any problem with Avast would most likely be replicated or worse with AVG running, btw, it could be nothing to do with any AV software but AVs are one of the more common causes of slow downs and internet connection problems.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Sorry for the delay. Having problems. I removed the McAfee and downloaded the Avast. A screen pops up that another virus program is running and do I still want to install Avast. I clicked yes continue.

Then I get a error message that says, the path that I chose is not correct.

But it didn't give me an option to choose a path!

The only virus program that is running is the windows security program. (default i guess) I didn't know how to turn that off.

I downloaded the Avast again and tried it, but still receive the same error message about the path being incorrect.

Figured out how to turn off the firewall. Not security center

Edited by klockdoc, 10 March 2016 - 12:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Have you been able to install Avast now, if not, can you upload a fresh AutoRuns log for us please.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Yeah, finally got it. Seems there was still remnants of AVG on the computer and the Avast installation was picking up the program.

I downloaded the AVG removal tool and it said that it couldn't find any trace of AVG. I told it to go ahead and run anyway and then I was able to install Avast.

Seems like when I restarted the computer, it didn't give me all those notepad, etc, error messages.

Anyway, good to go now with the next assignment.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Well done getting rid of the traces of AVG  :thumbsup:

Have you checked that the Firewall is running.

If the computer is behaving itself now there is nothing else to be done, but, if you want to improve the overall performance of the computer I would suggest that you add a couple more GB of Ram, example here and disable all of the scheduled updates that you have, you should decide on what updates and when, this will help twofold, it will free up resources and help to protect you from malware attack which is particularly important with the no longer supported XP OS.

NB: Where XP is concerned, it is important that the computer is not allowed to connect automatically to the Internet, when not browsing etc be sure to disable the Internet connection.

Scheduler
3/2/2016 1:11 AM;Every 1 hour(s) from 12:11 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 1/1/2000: 
Adobe Flash Player Updater
3/2/2016 1:23 AM;Every 1 hour(s) from 3:23 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 2/2/2016: 
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
3/2/2016 3:23 AM;Run at user logon: 
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
3/2/2016 10:02 PM;At 10:02 PM every Wed of every week, starting 9/24/2015: 
AppleSoftwareUpdate
3/8/2016 3:00 PM;At 3:00 PM on day 8 of every month, starting 3/8/2014: 
Microsoft Windows XP End of Service Notification Monthly
Every 15 minute(s) from 12:00 AM for 24 hour(s) on 10/7/2005: 
ISP signup reminder 2
Run at user logon: 
Microsoft Windows XP End of Service Notification Logon

Advertisements

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Thank you very much. Running much faster now. I can just imagine what it will be like with another G of RAM!

I had a couple of network adapters also running that used to be connected when I had cable so they were always in the tool bar. I uninstalled them. Also, the USB port was giving me trouble at startup trying to load a driver.It couldn't find one, so I uninstalled that also.

When going into Firefox, it was taking a while to load, Avast found an add on that it didn't like, removed it and then Firefox loaded very quickly.

I think we're set. Again, thank you very much for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome :)  glad that we were able to help and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

Something that I should mention regarding any Ram upgrade, you would be better adding 2 Xs 1GB sticks so that the Ram works in dual channel mode, if you only add the 1 Xs 1GB stick the Ram will only work in single channel mode and you will take a hit on performance.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Thank you for that extra tip.

One other question before I go, I ran another Speccy on the system and it came up with the motherboard running between 93 and 94 degrees C.

Do you think II need to have this looked at? Possibly be a bad heat sink?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome  :)

One other question before I go, I ran another Speccy on the system and it came up with the motherboard running between 93 and 94 degrees C.

Do you think II need to have this looked at? Possibly be a bad heat sink?

Possibly the Southbridge as that is what is responsible for the integrated video chip on older MBs, please see canned text below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Here you go. Hope I did this right.

Attached Thumbnails

• monitor pro test.JPG
  • Speed fan Test.JPG

Edited by klockdoc, 14 March 2016 - 01:22 AM.