Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network is killing me!

• Please log in to reply

zareba2003

zareba2003

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I hope you guys can help me as I have tried many other sites!!

Here is a run down of my problem (as posted on another site)

I'm being driven ever closer to deaths door by my computers and AOL. I have been trying to network my two Win XP PCs to AOL Gold for ages but to no avail. In fact all I have seen as results of my labour is ending up with no internet at all!! I only just managed to get this back and thought I better ask for help. So far I managed to install the Voyager 205 drivers and get it recognised by XP but couldn't get online. When I tried to add the router in AOLs software it could not detect one and would not allow me to sign on. So thus far I had installed a router but could not configure it in any way shape or form and was also unable to get online. Furthermore the xxx.xxx.x.x or voyager.home page also didn't work when I tried to get that in my IE browser! I then decided to get rid of everything and reinstall my USB modem which I am using now... again!! Here is my list of what I have:

Two XP PCs
AOL Gold
Using a BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem
Own a BT Voyager 205 Router (USB and Ethernet)
Own a Belkin Router (ethernet only)
Have miles of patch cable
Have miles of cross over cable

Since this post I have tried for over 8 hours to get it sorted. Here is a summary of my findings:

The router installs ok and is recognised. The power light is on, dsl light is on and the usb (which I need to connect to my main pc) is on. Even AOL companion in the task bar says there is a connection yet I can't modify the router so I can get online!

This is really driving me crazy. Am considering knocking a hole in the other room with the second PC and putting a new phone line in so I can buy another poo usb modem and connect that way (only when the other connection is off though).

PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i know that AOL has software that comes with their DSL and dail-up. I have seen before that it does not allow you sharing if you use their software. If you can find a way to connect without using their software i am sure we will get it to work.

one website i found was this:

http://www.pppindia....ldslsharing.htm

that will help you share your AOL connection.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Even AOL companion in the task bar says there is a connection yet I can't modify the router so I can get online!

Why can't you modify the router?? There should be a web interface that you can access to set it up. If it is a used router with user and password that you don't know, there should be a small reset button somewhere on the router that you can press and hold for about 15-30 seconds, it gives it a master reboot, then you can use all the default information to get into the router. I'm not sure exactly how you are trying to connect all this, but the set up should be something like this:

Line coming into house goes to modem.
Standard patch cable (cat5) from the Modem to the WAN port on the router.
From the other ports on the router, plug standard patch cable into each PC.
If router is new, and you haven't done diddly to it, DHCP should be enabled by default.
On each PC, make sure they are set to "Obtain IP address automatically".
Accept the settings.
From a command prompt, type; ipconfig if you get a default gateway, then you are getting a DHCP address. In an internet explorer window, type the ip address of the default gateway. This should give you access to your router. The username and password changes by make and model so you will have to refer to the manual for that information.

The thing is, we are working on one connection at a time here, once your internal network is talking to the router you may have access. We may still have to configure the external information, depends on the ISP, we will see.

Greazy Mcgeezy

zareba2003

zareba2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I managed to get it working!!! Yay! I now have the internet across two PCs. All I need to do now is try and sort out file sharing and enable UT2004 to work across the LAN. Cheers! ;)

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If you would, please briefly explain how you fixed the solution and if our ideas and suggestions helped you to arrive at the solution.

Thanks,
Greazy Mcgeezy