Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC posts but won't load os (Resolved)

Best Answer TheWizard1 , 06 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Sorry I was out of town. When I got back, I tried my computer again and now everything works fine. Thanks for your input guys. (: Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just installed Ubuntu alongside windows 10. Everything was working fine, but now when I turn on my computer, it posts like normal, but neither Ubuntu or windows 10 will boit. I just get a flashing cursor or the windows 10 logo. I tried booting from a flashdrive, but that doesn't work either. I tried resetting the bios, taking out the gpu, switching sata ports, and taking out a ram card. Same results.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

:welcome:    TheWizard1,

I just installed Ubuntu alongside windows 10. Everything was working fine,

Just so that we have this right, the computer had been running fine for some time running a Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot, this includes having been restarted, shut down and left overnight and then restarted and used without issue up until now.

I tried booting from a flashdrive, but that doesn't work either.

What was on the flash drive and was the BIOS set to boot from a USB device.

Can you also tell us the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) GPU and the PSU + whether you are using a USB or wired PS/2 type keyboard.

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I had restarted it one or twice with ubuntu, but not left it overnight. I've been using windows 10 for several months now with no problems.

My mb is an msi 760gm-p23. I'm using two 4gb hyper x red ram cards, can't remember specifics. Gpu is Radeon HD 7950. I was having some psi problems recently, but now I'm thinking it may not have been psu, or psu messed up something else. The new psu I put in is an antec 620 watt.
The flash drives I tested were the windows 10 flashdrive, which worked once, and a unetbootin ubuntu flashdrive.

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm just using a standard USB keyboard

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes the bios was set correcly, I checked it several times.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Not a regular Ubuntu user myself and don`t know if you are so please excuse my questions if they seem a little obvious to you.

Did you shrink the Windows 10 partition and then install Ubuntu on its own partition and not on the same partition as Windows.

Have you set the boot order so that either Windows 10 or Ubuntu are the first OS to boot and the other the second.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

not trying to interfere with phills expert advice but can you just clarify some things for me by answering these questions.

but neither Ubuntu or windows 10 will boit. I just get a flashing cursor or the windows 10 logo.

so when you boot your pc, it does boot up and load the boot options menu where you have the choice to boot into either windows or ubuntu and it's only from there things don't fully boot the os chosen, correct?

also

The flash drives I tested were the windows 10 flashdrive, which worked once, and a unetbootin ubuntu flashdrive.

have these drives been tested on another pc to make sure they do boot and work as they should? ie. ubuntu flash drive takes you to a working live os?

:popcorn:

something simple to try.

I just get a flashing cursor or the windows 10 logo.

remove any usb devices attached except for the mouse and keyboard then try booting into the windows os where you get to the windows 10 logo, then leave your pc on and go to bed, check it in the morning to see if it finally managed to boot to the desktop, while the logo is displayed it might be working in the back ground trying to fix any problems it's found

Edited by terry1966, 03 March 2016 - 06:18 AM.

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

so when you boot your pc, it does boot up and load the boot options menu where you have the choice to boot into either windows or ubuntu and it's only from there things don't fully boot the os chosen, correct?

Yes exactly.

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have two hard drives. One is a 120gb ssd with windows on ot, and the other is a 1tb hdd with some windows files on onr partition and ubuntu on the other.

Edited by TheWizard1, 03 March 2016 - 07:30 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

don't forget to answer phills questions too.

ok i'm assuming you never changed anything except the power supply before your problems and it was only from then on it failed to boot, so first problem that jumps into my mind this may cause is the bios lost power, thus it's settings, so reverted to defaults.

now the defaults probably are that the pc is to boot using uefi and secure boot mode enabled when before maybe you'd set things to boot using legacy mode (or uefi mode) but with secure boot disabled, this change to secure boot or/and uefi/legacy mode would stop both os from booting and could also be the reasons why your usb drives no longer boot too.

so that would be the first thing i'd check/ change. try booting with secure boot disabled in both uefi mode and legacy mode, the hard drives will also need to be connected to the same sata ports they were original on too.

:popcorn: 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Not heard back from you TheWizard1, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Thanks for the additional support terry  :thumbsup:

TheWizard1

TheWizard1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
✓  Best Answer
Sorry I was out of town. When I got back, I tried my computer again and now everything works fine. Thanks for your input guys. (:

Edited by TheWizard1, 06 March 2016 - 04:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well and thank you for letting us know that the issue was resolved  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)