Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A couple of problems with Windows 10 (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

Have you tried the USB keyboard since installing the Windows 10 drivers, for now just let us know the answer and keep using the wired keyboard while we check out the task bar and start button.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Got a few problems after installing Windows 10.

First off I can't seem to use the search box in the taskbar, it won't let me type in it or anything. Also I can't unpin or pin programs to the taskbar. And the start button won't work either no matter if I click it or press Windows key+X command.

Also whenever I try to open Internet Explorer from the taskbar shortcut it opens google chrome instead.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Lucky Dearly,

If this is a brand name computer can you post the make and model name or number for us, if a custom build, post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

okay my pc is a iBuyPower and the motherboard is an ASRock with the product number as H61M-HVS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Obvious question but have to ask, is your keyboard proven to be working, if you are using a USB type keyboard but have or can borrow a wired PS/2 one give that a try.

Have you installed the Windows 10 drivers for the MB and starting with the chipset drivers first, if not, download them from here and install them, the chipset drivers are the INF drivers on the list.

Will come back to the IE/Google issue.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I'm using a usb keyboard and it's working.

I'll try to update the drivers for my MB

Edit: All drivers updated.

Edited by Lucky Dearly, 08 March 2016 - 03:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Do you have a wired keyboard to try in case the problem is with the USB port/s.

You need to install all of the available drivers for the board but the chipset ones are the most important and need to be installed first so that the other drivers install correctly.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

okay I installed all the drivers starting with the chipset. and my keyboard I'm using is wired and it's working perfectly though i'm still having the same issues with the taskbar and start button not working

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Have you tried the USB keyboard since installing the Windows 10 drivers, for now just let us know the answer and keep using the wired keyboard while we check out the task bar and start button.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

yeah the keyboard works alright. I'll run the repair and see what happens

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

One problem solved at least  :thumbsup:

Its getting late here so wont be around much longer tonight as I have an early start, will check back asap tomorrow if I miss your next update today.

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Okay, I'll leave a post for you to see later on once I'm finished with the repairs

Edit: Repairs worked though I still have the IE icon on the taskbar still launching Google Chrome though.

Edited by Lucky Dearly, 08 March 2016 - 09:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Repairs done  :thumbsup:

I still have the IE icon on the taskbar still launching Google Chrome though.

That will be because you have set Chrome as your default browser, do you not want Chrome as your default browser, I can suggest a way that you can keep Chrome as the default browser and have quick access to IE as well, you cannot have it pinned to the task bar though, I personally do not have either pinned to the task bar as it just adds to the boot time.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

okay what's your suggestion for that problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You want to keep Chrome as the default browser then!

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

actually I use Internet Explorer as my default browser