Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Data backup for an office?

• Please log in to reply

eheinz

eheinz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there GTG,

We're a small office of five people, each with our own computers (all of them are iMacs running OSX El Capitan), and we also have an SMB network server that we get backed up in addition to our own computers.

We're currently using Mozy to backup all our data, but as we've recently hit our space limit with them, they want to upgrade us to a more expensive program - their prices aren't making sense to us anymore, as they're so expensive, and I know there are plenty of similar services who offer similar space capacities for a lot less.

I've done my own research and have been interested in SpiderOak and iDrive, but I still feel like maybe these aren't the most appropriate solutions? I've tested both of these and really didn't like SpiderOak, but they're also extremely cheap for a lot of space. I did like iDrive but I've read some shifty reviews of them as well. I feel a bit like I'm looking at the wrong products.

We need at very minimum 250GB of backup space, but of course, the more the better. Currently, Mozy's 250GB plan starts at $97 a month for 2 years. Meaning you have to be locked into their program for 2 years if you want to pay that price. Otherwise you can pay $110 a month for a year plan. 

SpiderOak offers 1TB for $12/mo. or 5TB for $25/mo. and iDrive has an option for 1TB for $45/mo. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for this kind of situation? We need to have the server and all of the machines backed up on a regular, automatic basis.

Thanks so much in advance!

Advertisements

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

Geek Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Is a cloud-based solution the only way you want to go? It would probably be cheaper (and possibly easier) to get a NAS and setup backup scripts on the machines? I'm not overly familiar with OSX, but I know that Linux and Windows have automatic backup solutions that can be done over a LAN.

Something like Time Machine (https://support.appl.../en-us/HT201250) should work, and it appears to be included with OSX.

eheinz

eheinz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Is a cloud-based solution the only way you want to go? It would probably be cheaper (and possibly easier) to get a NAS and setup backup scripts on the machines? I'm not overly familiar with OSX, but I know that Linux and Windows have automatic backup solutions that can be done over a LAN.

Something like Time Machine (https://support.appl.../en-us/HT201250) should work, and it appears to be included with OSX.

We actually have an NAS server and Time Machine, but we'd like something that can backup everything -- sort of a double backup, actually, if that makes sense.

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

Geek Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

We actually have an NAS server and Time Machine, but we'd like something that can backup everything -- sort of a double backup, actually, if that makes sense.

Makes absolute sense. Good, and multiple, backups is a good practice to have. I don't use any cloud-based backup system, so I really can't offer any kind of opinions  or suggestions on which ones are better than others. Sorry.