Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect a SDT-9000 tape backup drive unit

tape backup unit restore data connect to computer

• Please log in to reply

freedomlover

freedomlover

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I have an old  but functioning Sony Digital Data Storage Tape Backup Unit (SDT-9000)  that uses a 50 pin connector.

I know very little about computer hardware but need to restore some data from some DDS-3 format 12GB tape 125m tapes.

To install the SDT-9000 do I need to connect the soft ribbon 50pin connector as well as the power and if so, what does the other end of the 50pin connector connect to?

Also, what is its function?  

Any help in my restoration attempt would be most appreciated.

Computer Noob

Advertisements

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Looking up the specs on that unit, it's a SCSI tape/DAT drive. You would have to have the power connected as well as a SCSI port or adapter card installed in your computer to be able to use it. You would also have to have the appropriate drivers available for your operating system.

Unless you already have a SCSI adapter in your system, there is no way to use it without purchasing/installing one. Something like would do the job. Make sure you also have the ribbon cable for it.

A card like THIS should do the job. Make sure you also have the ribbon cable for it.

The drivers for the SDT-9000 unit can be obtained from HERE.

After that, it's just a matter of installing the card, the drive, and the drivers for both. You should have no problems accessing the data on it.. Assuming the tapes haven't degraded.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

A less expensive card here

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just something else to consider, if you have a new pc then it may not have a pci slot to plug the listed cards into, so you may also need to get a pci-e to pci adaptor.

:popcorn: