Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running older games on Win7

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I am asking this for a friend.(I have no time to play games)

I installed a game disc for her. All games play except one-the one she plays most. Bingo.

It is a 251 Collectors Edition game disc from eGames 2003. She had it on an XP machine and they all played. Every game opens/plays except Bingo. A pop up box reads Browser Please insert the CD into the CD ROM drive. If possible she wants to play it without having to put the disc in every time.

Is it because the different OS or some other reason?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Play older games on windows 7 in xp compatibility mode.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

rockmilk-thanks for the link.

Even in compatibility mode it still asks for the disc to be installed.

Virtual Windows XP Program will not work on her Win 7 Home Premium  SP1. It's 64 bit which I forgot to post originally.

So she will either have to use the disc every time or use an old XP machine I have.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Or perhaps use a virtual machine, and install xp on it. If you have an xp disk, this is a viable option. :)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

been years since i've played any windows games but if memory serves some games always needed the disk in the drive to play them and the only way i could get around that was to make an iso image of the disk and then mount that iso image when i wanted to play the game.

sorry been way to long since i've done that to offer any detailed how to instructions but maybe now you know how i overcame the same problem it will help you anyway.

:popcorn:

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Or perhaps use a virtual machine, and install xp on it. If you have an xp disk, this is a viable option. :)

I do own an XP disk. But I am not familiar with the term virtual machine. Do you have a link that explains this as well?

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

been years since i've played any windows games but if memory serves some games always needed the disk in the drive to play them and the only way i could get around that was to make an iso image of the disk and then mount that iso image when i wanted to play the game.

sorry been way to long since i've done that to offer any detailed how to instructions but maybe now you know how i overcame the same problem it will help you anyway.

:popcorn:

Thanks Terry1966 I do know how to make/mount an iso image. I didn't even think of that. :idea:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

I do own an XP disk. But I am not familiar with the term virtual machine. Do you have a link that explains this as well?

Virtual Box.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

She doesn't have enough RAM for the VB. But she did remember she had an old XP in the cellar. Waiting for new fan to get here for it! Problem solved!! Thanks all!!