Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer, Help please

• Please log in to reply

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

windows ran its updates last night and now this seems to be running better, Im not sure if the HD cooled off or if a processor freed up ,   , does it make any sense to start over from scratch?    cpu usage is at 48%   how exactly do I capture this process log I get to the program, but I cant get to run it as an admin,  I sent this from the bad computer BTW,  with no problems, still slow but something happened during that windows update

Advertisements

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

windows ran its updates last night and now this seems to be running better, Im not sure if the HD cooled off or if a processor freed up ,   , does it make any sense to start over from scratch?    cpu usage is at 48%   how exactly do I capture this process log I get to the program, but I cant get to run it as an admin,  I sent this from the bad computer BTW,  with no problems, still slow but something happened during that windows update

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If process explorer doesn't want to run as admin I think it's OK to just run it.  To save the log you just Files, Save As, point it at your desktop and Save.  It will usually name the file after the highest CPU user which is normally System Idle.  

Don't forget to click once or twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU user with the biggest at the top.

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

???

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

process.PNG process.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Can you uninstall Spybot S&D?  Have it undo any immunizations on the way out.

In Process Explore hit the space bar to keep it from jumping around and then hover over the top svchost.exe  file.  It should show you what services are riding on it.  Usually it Windows Update that causes a problem.  If you find Windows update then right click on Computer and select Manage then Services and Applications then Services.  Find Windows Update and right click on it and select Properties.  Stop the service then go back to Process Explorer (hit the space bar again to get it start changing).  Did SVCHOST.exe drop down in the list?

Close Firefox.  What does process explorer look like now?

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

svchost stays around the top on the few tries hitting the space bar and clicking on cpu,  alsi I deleted spbot   and the next post will have the process without firefox running

Advertisements

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

process1.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Take a screen shot of process explorer when you hover over the top svchost.exe and post it.

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

It doesnt do anything different when I put the curser on svchost, is there a value or a trend your looking for that I may be able to relay to you

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Right click on svchost.exe and select Properties then click on the Services tab.  What does it say?

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

there are many entries is there a specific svchost I should check, Im sending the first 6 screen shots

1 is dcomlaunch

plug play and power

another is dragtrack

I will screenshot 6 more and wait for your reply