Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swap C drive HD to SSD. Only have recovery CD. (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 09 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Stoa, You can migrate your OS from the present HDD to the new SSD, some brands of SSD ship with the software to do this but there is an example (free) guide for you here TipT... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Stoa

Stoa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post this, please move it to more appropriate one if need.

I did a search on the topic, didn't came across anything useful (in regards to recovery CDs). Please let me know if this already posted.

Anyways, I have HP Pavilion 500. I want to swap the original hard-drive to a SSD.

Questions:

1. How do I make the installation? I don’t have Windows installation DVD, only the recovery CDs from HP (the recovery data also on the original HD under different partition).

My plan is to remove the original HD and swap with SSD, then try to recovery from recovery CD. If all fails, I could still swap back the original HD and pretend nothing happened.

2. If it works, will the recovery program automatically create a separate partition on SSD as recovery drive? Anyway to change the partition letter? Do I even need it? I never recovered since I got this PC 2 years ago.

3. I currently have two HD attached to PC (one original, and one additional). The motherboard is MS-7778 JasmineR, it says 6x SATA 3.0, so I assume I can fit all three HD to the PC? What cables do I need? Just standard HD cable and power? Should I upgrade the power supply?

Sorry I am really out dated on this kind of knowledge. Last time I done anything like this was years ago while I was still in school.

I also have a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive, not sure if this can be helpful during the swap.

This computer will eventually be retired to a movie station / casual gaming attached to the TV. So 250G SSD should be sufficient?

Thank you guys in advance.

Best

Joel

Edited by Stoa, 09 March 2016 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Stoa,

You can migrate your OS from the present HDD to the new SSD, some brands of SSD ship with the software to do this but there is an example (free) guide for you here

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Stoa

Stoa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you for the reply. This look easy enough, I will try this during the weekend and update you guys on this.

Best

Joel

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

Stoa

Stoa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

Success. Thank you for the help  phillpower2! :spoton:

Best

Joel

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome Stoa  :) glad that we were able to help, thank you for the follow up and a job well done on your behalf  :thumbsup: