Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrongfully imprisoned

Network expert?

• Please log in to reply

benimble

benimble

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I was wrongly convicted on the evidence of a police computer expert with an impressive curriculum vitae, and the failure of my lawyer to pursue this more rigorously. I spent 4 1/2 years in prison and was just recently released on bail pending the hearing of my appeal.  Only an equally impressive computer expert with the necessary proof positive of when and from where that email was sent can save me.  If my appeal fails, it's back to prison.

The truth is I sent an email from Toronto (416 area code) to a friend in the 613 area code, some time in the early morning hours.

The police obtained the email full headers from the person who received my email and it shows that it was sent/received at 12:06 pm.  Tracking the given IP addresses would lead the ordinary person to believe it was sent from within the 613 area code.

The police expert testified it was certain that the email was sent at 12:06 pm within the 613 area code.  For reasons too lengthy to explain here, and really not relevant, this made it appear that I was in the 613 area code at the time a serious crime was committed, and by my testimony of when and from where the email was sent I therefore am a liar: a double whammy that no doubt was a major factor in the guilty verdict from the jury.

I am aware that there are computer experts--geniuses, even: people who know how to hide their tracks, who use their abilities for malicious intents: hacking into highly sophisticated computer systems; spreading extremely potent viruses--yet they get caught...

Because records exist...

Replies from knowledgeable people who know what they are talking about would be appreciated.

EDIT by paws: to hinder spammers email address has been obfuscated

Edited by paws, 11 March 2016 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Ask Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/