Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer fails to completely boot.

• Please log in to reply

rumpunch

rumpunch

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello.
I am using a desktop PC with Windows XP. The problem started yesterday. Everytime I turn the computer on, I hear the system start up [the fan kicks in, and the hard disk drive access indicator light is lighted] but nothing else happens. The monitor light remains yellow indicating there is no connection, the keyboard lights never turn on, the cd drive won't open either. The hard disk drive access indicator light just remains lighted and as mentioned before, the fan and such are heard. Something similar to this has happened before, but I would just push the power button again and restart and all would load properly and quickly, unfortunately this time nothing works.

Any help or information would be of help. I have thought about taking the system to a repair shop or so, but if it's something I may take care of on my own then that would be much better.

Thank you.
-abel.

Edited by rumpunch, 15 June 2005 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok,

have you looked inside for any loose connections? and does the Hard Drive read/write light always stay on?

(btw im off 2 bed now so dont expect another reply from me till 2morro :tazz:

rumpunch

rumpunch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The light does always remain lighted. I did open up the system yesterday to check to see if there were any loose connections, but found nothing.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
when the system boots do you get any thing showing on the monitor? what if you try to boot with a bootdisk?
:tazz:

rumpunch

rumpunch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello...
No, nothing shows up on the monitor. It make no connection, the light on the monitor stays yellow [like it does after shutting down the system]

Therefore, I don't think I can use a bootdisk...or am I completely wrong?
thank's.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
If you try to boot with a bootdisk and you still get no video and the light stays yellow. I would say that your video card as gone bad. If this is the case your system may hang at the part where it is tring to read the video card and not boot beyond that point. I have seen this happen before. The person said they could do the same thing shut it down and reboot and all would be ok. Then one day it would no longer boot with video and the yellow light would be on like your getting. I tested the video card it was bad.
:tazz:

rumpunch

rumpunch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This may have nothing to do with anything, but I discovered that the ring around my power button no longer turns on. I checked its cable and connections and nothing seems out of the norm, there is no tear, or damage, or anything like that. I did see that there is a lithium battery stored by the cables that belong to that certain light...could this be the problem, or be contributing to the problem?

I will try to get a new video card

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Take tazz1964's advice and try to boot from a floppy what he is trying to see is if maybe the harddrive has failed

Do this before purchasing a video card

Rick

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my video card. Turns out that it was dead and I certainly hope it's not true for you ;)

Try taking the video card out and reseating it, making certain it is in there correctly.

Another thing to consider is that even though you saw that there were no loose connections, you should check to see if they are all the RIGHT connections. I assume that your computer used to work until now, but have you made any changes recently? (i.e. added/removed hard drives, video card, power supply, etc...)

I agree with tazz. Try to test it with a new video card from a computer company with a nice return policy (like Fry's, or Best Buy... :tazz: ) so that you can rule that out.

Hope this helps...

vishusecl

vishusecl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I also seem to have the same problem on my PC. Mine also boots but the display is not there after several starts and re-starts, the display ultimately comes back. But, from the activities inside the CPU, I can make out that the systems is booting up. Is it a problem related to AGP card? My system is only three months old. this problem started coming only after I installed the AGP card.
Please help.
Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: vishuseci

Please start your own topic as this one is over 5 years old now.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 June 2010 - 03:05 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
rumpunch

You indicated that you are getting nothing on the monitor. By nothing I will take that to mean that you are getting no cmos boot up info (that would be the black screen with white lettering).
If this is true then the generic video driver is not loading.

A couple things to try.
If there is a jumper near the battery then place it on the other 2 pins for a couple minutes. Then return it to the original position.
If no jumper then remove the battery for a few minutes to clear the bios.
Try booting in to safe mode. Tap F8 till you get the safe mode screen and then choose safe mode. This loads all generic and minimal drivers.

If it was a hard drive failure you would still get the cmos boot up screen. You might also get some other errors related to "OS not found".

We need to get the cmos screen and then we can go from there. It could be a bad monitor, but what bothers me is the hard drive access light stays on.