Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

But what type of media did he use -  genuine Microsoft DVD, downloaded ISO or a burned copy etc.

Was the computer running ok until you stared installing your music recording software.

Any crash dumps for us.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Advertisements

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I just had a 2nd crash in the music program. I can't say the computer ran OK before, because, there was nothing to run before I added this and 2 other programs first thing.

I went to the minidump and tried to do the send and failed.  Results attached. 

I checked permissions for the folder and all are full already.

After looking for 10 minutes, checking every button, and seeing no attachment link,  here is what it says (Compressed (zipped) folder Error

X  File not found or no read permission

This is after the 2nd attempt which failed with a permission problem.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

this was a custom built Nimbus M2 computer built by RAIN, headed by Kevin Jacoby, "to handle all your audio, video and photo needs"

they took weeks to get it to me and said they were having trouble with the configuration, or something.  When I got it I was having bluescreens and calling for help.

and then the website was under construction and they were apparently out of business.  Before it totally stopped working I had a pretty stable period with no bluescreens.

Windows Home Premium was preinstalled, and I thought I had no disk when my relative was fixing it as a favor, adding a new C: drive and. He asked if I had a Windows disk and at the time I didn't think I did and wondered how to proceed.  He said it was quite difficult to  get it running again and took most of a day or more I think.  I have emailed and asked twice what type of install it was but didn't get a reply. 

Later, when searching among the boxes for some other programs, I found to my great surprise that I did have a disk from RAIN, though it says Windows Professional, but that is not what they put on it.

All I know is that I was gypped on this powerful but unstable machine and my relative, who doesn't live close, did the best he could to help me out, spending many hours.

I have downloaded and run the Speccy. Hoping this doesn't enhance hackability.

http://speccy.pirifo...gfCMGXfo1lTOax4

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Speccy shows that automatic updates are turned off, that you have no AV protection installed (both are putting you at risk of malware attack) and that your video card is overheating, the latter is most likely what is causing you problems but I am a bit concerned about the OS that is installed, the software is most likely legit but it is not everyday that someone bestows on you an OS and product key that can cost $400.

Please download WVCheck from;

Latest EXE Download
Latest ZIP Download

Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)

As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.

Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file as a reply.

Will come back to the other issue/s once we have the requested log.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I see that I have a Windows product key on the back of the computer, but I don't know if that is for the Home Premium they installed, or the Profession disk that they included and don't know what to do now that I have ultimate on.  What would happen if I put the Pro version in?

He indicated that the RAM is running too high for the computer to support and said to lower it in BIOs.

I had McAfee, and curiously I got a note on my laptop that it expired the day that the PC stopped working.  Everyone seems to be saying that is a waste of money, and he thought I needed none. 

Before I had McAfee, superantispy but had those problems.

He also thought that many of the components, such as the video card, and RAM and even motherboard were not the best choices. 

I am running the latest EXE download as suggested now. My external drives are turned off, since the music stuff isn't on them, but there are 2 4Ts and 2 1Ts inside.

I think it's done maybe.  there are only 7 lines after the Done reading registry part, but there is a blinking cursor.

Usually this computer is disconnected from the Internet, unless I need to do uploads, downloads or related email or links such as here.

thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Edited by robirdman, 02 April 2016 - 11:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Will wait on the WVCheck for now regarding the OS.

The Ram voltage looks marginally high as does the CPUs, we can also check these along the way.

Sorry but anyone that suggests that you do not need any AV protection on computers that go online or are part of a network are plain wrong.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Windows Validation Check
Version: 1.9.12.7
Log Created On: 1207_02-04-2016
-----------------------
INFORMATION & UPDATES
[email protected]
Latest versions:
http://www.demonwork...arl/WVCheck.exe
http://www.geekstogo...4d76/wvcheckexe
http://www.demonwork...arl/WVCheck.zip
-----------------------

Windows Information
-----------------------
Windows Version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Windows Mode: Normal
Systemroot Path: C:\Windows

WVCheck's Auto Update Check
-----------------------
Auto-Update Option: Do not download or install updates automatically.
-----------------------
Last Success Time for Update Detection: 2016-03-21 23:03:51
Last Success Time for Update Download: 2016-03-21 22:49:50
Last Success Time for Update Installation: 2016-03-21 22:51:39

WVCheck's Registry Check Check
-----------------------
Antiwpa: Not Found
-----------------------
Chew7Hale: Not Found
-----------------------

WVCheck's File Dump
-----------------------
C:\Windows\System32\slwga.dll
Size: 14336 bytes
Creation; 20/11/2010 21:23:48
Modification; 20/11/2010 21:23:48
MD5; 19f75d71e4256f5113d64ce2bb66b838
Matched: slwga.dll
-----------------------
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\slwga.dll
-----------------------
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_5d778f71b9f4fd55\slwga.dll
Size: 15360 bytes
Creation; 20/11/2010 21:24:21
Modification; 20/11/2010 21:24:21
MD5; b6d6886149573278cba6abd44c4317f5
-----------------------
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_0158f3ee01978c1f\slwga.dll
-----------------------
G:\Windows\System32\slwga.dll
-----------------------
G:\Windows\SysWOW64\slwga.dll
-----------------------
G:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_5d778f71b9f4fd55\slwga.dll
-----------------------
G:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_0158f3ee01978c1f\slwga.dll
-----------------------

WVCheck's Dir Dump
-----------------------
WVCheck found no known bad directories.

WVCheck's Missing File Check
-----------------------
WVCheck found no missing Windows files.

WVCheck's HOSTS File Check
-----------------------
WVCheck found no bad lines in the hosts file.

WVCheck's MD5 Check
EXPERIMENTAL!!
-----------------------
user32.dll - 0a78439765e31510d75c9e2284f3a722

-------- End of File, program close at 1224_02-04-2016 --------

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Windows own AV is insufficient?  Recommended?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Only Windows versions 8/8.1 and 10 have the improved version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as MSE, Defender in Windows 7 is more anti spyware and you do need a third party AV.

All good with the OS but can I ask you to do the following for us, remove any traces of McAfee, first in Add/Remove programs and then by using the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool from here once done install a good free AV such as Avast or MSE  Avast! free Antivirus to the bottom left here or MSE from here once your computer is fully protected, manually check for and install all important Windows 7 updates then post back, this will take you some time to do but needs must to keep your computer protected, if your computer becomes more unstable when applying the Windows updates post back and let us know, this only if McAfee has been gotten rid of and you are protected by an AV software.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I did all as suggested.

Installed McAfee is gone from the C: drive.  My only question is regarding the G: drive (which is the old C: drive before the cease of functionality)  The old Windows is there and McAfee, but are not active nor was it detected.  I kept the drive here so I can refer to what was on it before, that I might need. Should I just delete McAfee from its folders there, and  any other locations.

I don't know how many references there are to it, but I don't know how McAfee was even on the present C: drive as it wasn't reinstalled.

I removed McAfee from the Program and Program 86, as well as their Common file locations.  Might it be elsewhere also?

speccy  http://speccy.pirifo...mMVgY4sodIgQVIO

I see that I needed to have full editor to show the attachment clip that I didn't see before.  I have noticed before that these fans show 0 RPM, while they are in fact running.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG
  • HWMonitor1.JPG
  • HWMonitor2.JPG

Edited by robirdman, 02 April 2016 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Get rid of McAfee on the G: drive when you are ready.

Couple of things for you to do;

Post an updated Speccy url and screenshots of HWMonitor and Speedfan for us, see below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I put my recent data in an edited post as suggested, above, but haven't heard back the rest of the day, unlike all the other rapid back and forths, so just wanted to make sure you knew.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Crossed wires robirdman, if you read again the tip in my reply #24 it says "Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post" we do not receive notification of edited posts only replies and had you not post back we would  have been unaware of your edited reply #25.

To your results, all voltages look are within tolerance albeit the +12V rail is a little on the low side, it is not bad though and I would only suggest that you keep a check on it, temps are mostly ok but your GPU is hot for a card that is not under any load, the specs for your card that I found here say that the max safe temp is 131 °F which = 57 °C the same temp that is reported for you card, I am not too sure that the info at the link is correct as Nvidea GPUs are usually safe up to 105 °C before the drivers throttle back to cool the card down, I suggest a check for any better drivers for the card, see option 2 here 

I have noticed before that these fans show 0 RPM, while they are in fact running.

Not sure how many chassis fans you have so will answer on the basis that there are two;

The fan speed that you can see is for the CPU which has a 4 pin header on the MB which allows for the speed to be detected, reported and manually controlled, your MB ( specs/manual here ) has three other fan headers, one 3 pin pwr fan header, which should report but may not allow you to manually control fan speeds, SYS_FAN1 4 pin header that is capable of reporting fan and manually controlling fan speeds and SYS_FAN2 3 pin header that should report fan speeds but again will not always allow any manual adjustment, any adjustments made with 3 pin cooling fans is normally done by the MB and/or its associated software, see Gigabyte System Information Viewer information here please disregard the OverClocking information as that is not what I am suggesting you read or do.

System builders will often use chassis fans that are fed directly from the PSU, in this instance you will see the fans running but monitoring software such as HWMonitor, Kombuster and Speedfan etc have no way of detecting the fans as the programs rely on sensors within the MB to be able to report the readings.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I donwloaded the Geforce Experience and I think it updated the driver. Rebooted.  Anything more I should do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts

Check that crash dumps are enabled on your computer, see below courtesy of Resplendence;

To configure your system to write out crash dumps in case of a system error, take the following steps: 
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). For best results, under write debugging information selectfull memory dump. Your system however must meet several conditions for this option to work. Alternatively you can select small memory dump to have your system write out crash dump files that are significantly smaller. 

Use the computer as you normally would to see how it behaves and keep a check on the temps and voltages by using HWMonitor, uninstall Speedfan at your leisure.