Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I transfer my HDD to another computer? (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

rawkitdawg, The HDD will be fine as a second storage device in the ASUS, just be sure that if it has an earlier version of Windows on it than is on your SSD that your SSD is set a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rawkitdawg

rawkitdawg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, I have recently gotten an Asus G750VW, it had the HDD removed and has an SSD with 175gb. I was wondering if I can take the HDD out of my Toshiba L850D and put it into the Asus as a 2nd, main data drive and use the SSD to boot up windows or play any demanding games. Will there be any problems with drivers or anything like that? It's SATA and seems to accept it physically, I just don't want to mess up my new gaming laptop.

TLDR: I would like to place my HDD from my Toshiba Satellite II L850D into an Asus RoG G750W that currently has an SSD and a 2nd slot for another HDD or SDD.

Toshiba L850D HDD is model TOSHIBA MQ01ABD075 and holds about 700GB.

I want to put this into an Asus G750VW..

Will I lose data on my HDD if I transfer? Will the computer break, if not how do I go about doing it safely? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

rawkitdawg

rawkitdawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

http://www.cnet.com/...01abd075/specs/

Here are the specs on the Toshiba HDD I'd like to put into the Asus G750.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   rawkitdawg,

The HDD will be fine as a second storage device in the ASUS, just be sure that if it has an earlier version of Windows on it than is on your SSD that your SSD is set as the first boot device, the HDD should be detected as "new hardware found" and a prompt for drivers for the device be installed.

rawkitdawg

rawkitdawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:   rawkitdawg,

The HDD will be fine as a second storage device in the ASUS, just be sure that if it has an earlier version of Windows on it than is on your SSD that your SSD is set as the first boot device, the HDD should be detected as "new hardware found" and a prompt for drivers for the device be installed.

Hey thanks for your answer! So, if I ensure both HDDs have the exact same version of Windows 10, there will be no data loss? I plan on backing up the important stuff anyways.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It doesn't really matter what version of Windows is on the old Toshiba drive. Simply plug the old drive into your new Asus, then power the Asus up and it should recognize the old drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks Doc  :thumbsup:

In addition to what Doc has said above, I would create a back up image of the SSD on the Toshiba HDD, let us know if you need help with that if it is something that you would like to do.

You are welcome btw rawkitdawg  :)