Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to set up dual boot without bootloader

Linux dual boot bootloader Windows 8 Black screen of death

• Please log in to reply

TravisJo

TravisJo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello eveyone,

I would like to start by saying thank you, and sorry I'm a moron :)

I am an aspiring pentester, and decided to load my computer up with some Kali Linux to get started with some pentesting classes on Cybrary. I started by partitioning my hard drive in windows for my Kali system, and ran an install from a USB drive. Everything worked fine, except the Grub bootloader wouldn't boot me back into my Windows system. After searching the web, downloading the Windows ISO, downloading a "boot-repair" ISO, and other failed solutions, I decided to try another install using the other bootloader option in the Kali set up. Well for whatever reason, it wouldn't allow me to set up my system with that loader, so I went for the final option of installing without a bootloader. My thinking was that without a bootloader, that possibly the stock loader would kick in, and I could get into Windows to start over.

After the installation was complete, my system rebooted and showed the stock "Lenovo" splash screen, and then to a black screen with a blinking line...and nothing happened. I have tried restarting, restarting with a USB drive while pressing every combination of "F_" button, and I can't get to anything. I then read something about taking my computer apart and unpluging the BIOS battery in order to reset my BIOS, so I did that to find no such battery. So right now I'm stuck with a blinking paper weight, and in dire need of some direction.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad P500 that came with and was running Windows 8.

Thanks again for any help, I feel like such a noob being an aspiring IT guy and all, but I'm fresh out of things to try.

Travis

Edited by TravisJo, 14 March 2016 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

must admit it sounds to me like you wiped your windows 8 os when you installed kali seeing how a windows boot recovery/repair disc never fixed that problem.

what software did you used to try and fix the windows boot problem? list them please, eg. easybcd, windows 8 recovery disk, etc. etc.

and do you have a linux live cd/usb you can use to help you fix things? if not can you make one to use. and list what live cd your using.

boot the live os and run

fdisk -l

command as root to list what hard drives and partitions are in your pc and post the results in your next reply.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 15 March 2016 - 11:57 AM.

TravisJo

TravisJo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Since I ran the last install not using a bootloader, I can't boot into anything. When I turn on my computer, I get a black screen with a blinking line. I've tried booting my computer with the USB Kali Live in, boot with it in while pressing each F button, esc, etc. with no luck.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok disconnect the battery and the power lead, hold in the power button for 10 seconds and then connect the battery again.

start the laptop, does it show anything on screen now before it gets to the black screen with the flashing cursor and can you get into the bios/uefi?

if you can get into the bios/uefi make sure the usb drive is first boot option. also do you know if the live os is uefi and secure boot capable or did you need to first set the uefi to legacy mode before it would boot your kali live os? make any changes necessary and try booting it again, not forgetting the usb drive needs to be inserted before powering on the laptop.

also what software have you used to try and fix the windows boot problem?

TravisJo

TravisJo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, solved my problem. I had to take my computer apart to remove the battery, which I did, but I don't think it had anything to do with my problem. I had been restarting my computer, pushing all the F buttons and holding them as the computer booted. I got to a bootload screen by holding the "fn" button and quickly pressing the f12 key rapidly. This bootload screen let me boot into windows and into my USB drive where I could reinstall Kali. Thanks for your help and your time, I really appreciate it

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

glad to hear you sorted it. :spoton:

maria456

maria456

• Pip
  • 4 posts

You can check this guide.I think it will solve your problem: